Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-09-2022, 06:51 AM   #1

Camera Exposure Profiles for Sekonic L-858D

I have just ordered a Godox Radio Trigger for my Lightmeter and realised that the firmware had to be updated to Version 17. In the process of updating the firmware, I discovered that the Sekonic data transfer software needed, also had the ability to create Camera Exposure Profiles that can be uploaded into the light meter and subsequently selected for use.

Has anyone actually done this and if so, does it make a difference? I read through the rather long manual and it seemed like an awful lot of faff to achieve the profiles. My exposure correction has generally been looking at the tethered shots and adjusting power or repositioning strobes to achieve the look that I'm after. I never even thought about using exposure correction profiles.

Is this a worthwhile thing to do?

05-09-2022, 12:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pops Quote
Is this a worthwhile thing to do?
Taking photos that are better than the next man has always been about the person behind the camera. Flash or not the same holds true.

All of my flash pictures are taken using manual control. How can a profile software writer know your shooting set up or intentions ?
05-10-2022, 09:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Taking photos that are better than the next man has always been about the person behind the camera. Flash or not the same holds true.

All of my flash pictures are taken using manual control. How can a profile software writer know your shooting set up or intentions ?
I expect the OP is using wireless TTL flashes that talk to the camera, in which case profiles, whether useful or not, can come into play.
For myself, most of this stuff is more complicated than just setting up the lights to give me the modeling ratio I want, and like you, and from reading the OP's post, him as well, I shoot all my studio stuff with "manual" lights and the camera set to manual exposure.
05-10-2022, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Even among the professional shooters I've been associating with there's no shame in TTL. It's gone from a cointoss to pretty reliable over the past few years. I rarely take out my Sekonic at all anymore, exceptions being something like a professional headshot session and/or multiple strobes where I can set everything up in advance and shoot from a fairly fixed position for both subject and me. On the move all I use is TTL.