Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2008, 04:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Metz 32MZ3 Auto mode fails off-camera where 54MZ3 does not

Metz Flash 32mz3 has three auto-modes, a TTL setting and a manual setting. I would like to use this flash as a secondary (slave) light source, set on a SCA301 and mecalux 11 slave unit. But does auto-mode work well for you? I have done some quick tests yesterday and found it to be far over-exposing.

After that I did the same test with a 54MZ3 in the auto-mode (SCA301 on the Mecalux11). That worked well.

It seems that the 54MZ3 stops when sufficient light has been reflected from the subject to the flash's sensor. The 32MZ3 should have this feature too, but does not get this exposure correctly.

Is that a problem you recognize from your own experience? Is it a flaw in the 32MZ3?

12-18-2008, 05:08 AM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Metz Flash 32mz3 has three auto-modes, a TTL setting and a manual setting. I would like to use this flash as a secondary (slave) light source, set on a SCA301 and mecalux 11 slave unit. But does auto-mode work well for you? I have done some quick tests yesterday and found it to be far over-exposing.

It seems that the 54MZ3 stops when sufficient light has been reflected from the subject to the flash's sensor. The 32MZ3 should have this feature too, but does not get this exposure correctly.
Syb, the 32 MZ-3 should work fine in auto mode. It does expose too much with direct flash (non-bounced) nearby, but otherwise it's usually spot-on.

Maybe there is a difference in the "scope" of the auto-sensor (e.g. the width)?

I don't know about the combination with the SCA301, but there are a few dpreview threads from 2007 that describe various combinations of the Metz flashes with MZ-sockets. Maybe you can check these. See e.g.
Problems with Smart Auto Flash - Metz MZ40-x and K10D: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
12-18-2008, 05:29 AM   #3
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andreas Quote
Syb, the 32 MZ-3 should work fine in auto mode. It does expose too much with direct flash (non-bounced) nearby, but otherwise it's usually spot-on.
Thank you. It was indeed in a direct flash nearby, that it went wrong. I will do some more tests to see where 32MZ3 will do usefully.