Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2009, 02:05 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I agree with Daz on both points. I was glad that it was the foot of the flash that broke and not the shoe on the camera. A relatively easy and cheap fix. Second I never bothered to get a spare and just learned my lesson. Be more careful with the flash!! When it's not in use, it's off the camera. As for durablity, I've looked at other flashes from other brands and they are all made basically the same way. No one uses a metal foot and this way is better because if the camera were damaged, you'd be looking at a much more expensive repair.

Also I wouldn't try replacing only the foot but the entire base. I don't know that the part is sold that way. I don't imagine it's much cheaper.

06-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks DAZ and Peter I appreciate the info. I will just wait to see if I break the flash or not. I'm with you Peter the only time I have the flash attached to the camera is when I'm using it. If I'm using it and have to lay the camera down I take the flash off the camera and I'm careful when I'm attaching and de-attaching the flash.

Thanks
Jim
06-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
There will always be a weakest point in a system. You can always make some point stronger until some other point is the weakest point. In MHO it is best to make sure the weakest point is the cheapest point. So do you want the weakest point the relatively inexpensive and easy part that you can repair or the camera that is expensive and that you have to send it to repair?

DAZ
I wasn't trying to argue for an invincible camera I was just trying to gauge how secure the 540 was relative to the connections that other camera bodies / flashes might have. From what it sounds like tho, this isn't unique to the 540 and I just need to be more careful

Also, I agree with Daz's point: No need to buy these in advance. Get one if it breaks, not before.

I e-mailed Gray at US Camera and it sounds like the plastic foot alone (photos attached) isn't available for the 540. He offers one for the 500 for only ~$7. Meanwhile, the assembly costs ~$50. I'd be fine with this breaking if I could fix it for only $7 :P
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot SD1000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot SD1000  Photo 
06-10-2009, 12:45 AM   #19

broken fgz-360 shoe foot

I have the very same problem as above, but on an FGZ-360. Luckily US Camera stocks the item (here).

I wouldn't be changing the whole hot shoe assembly, just the shoe foot. I'm a little afraid I might not be able to put it back together.
How hard/technical is this to do ? any advice would also be welcome.

thanks
Jean-Christophe

06-10-2009, 06:05 AM   #20

360 foot on 540?

I would say that if you're handy with a screw driver, it will probably be easy to take this apart. Just make sure to take photos along the way so you can reverse your steps as necessary - if the 360 is similar to the 540 (which I'm assuming it is), should take you under an hour. Just watch out for all the little screws and springs.

Come to think of it, the 540 should be almost exactly like the 360 in terms of build, right? Maybe I can use the 360 foot for mine to save some $$$? The pictures look eerily similar :P
09-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #21

360 foot on 540 = FAIL :(

So, trying to save some cash, I purchased the AF-360FGZ foot directly from Pentax and upon receiving it, I found that it was actually taller than the original AF-540FGZ foot. I put the whole assembly back together, hoping I could find a way to make it work, but unfortunately, the ground contacts (the two silver "tabs" on the sides) from the 540 are not long enough to reach to the bottom of the taller 360 flash foot. As a result, the flash doesn't get properly grounded, and no communication happens between the flash and the camera (the camera doesn't even see it there, doesn't fire, etc.)

Fast-forward another month and after saving up some $$$, I finally bought the 540 assembly and it worked like a charm.

So, word to the wise: If your 540 flash foot is broken, save yourself some time and just get the replacement 540 assembly.

A few photos of my learnings posted here:
Public Link:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=502851915

Permanent Link (Log-in to facebook first, shared with "Everyone"):
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=502851915

For reference, hot shoe pinout is diagramed on this post:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/54448-hot-shoe-pinout-k100d.html
07-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #22
Forum Member

Dipinoy,
Thanks for the information. I broke my mount on 540 last weekend. I guess I will need to purchase expensive 540 mount.

06-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #23

filing taller 360fgz foot back?

Sorry for attempts to revive an old thread - stumbled across this one while going through a similar dilemma.

djpinoy did you try filing down the 360fgz foot so that the grounding contacts could reach? Since it's only plastic (as evidenced by the thousands of breakages), don't image it wouldn't take much effort.

I'm considering giving this a go, will update if it works.
03-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #24

...by the way, Manishved PMed me and reminded me to follow up on this old one -- you can indeed order the 360 FGZ foot from 360fgz and file it back to fit the 540. Did this soon after my original post and has been working a charm since.
09-03-2019, 01:20 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by j_mul Quote
...by the way, Manishved PMed me and reminded me to follow up on this old one -- you can indeed order the 360 FGZ foot from 360fgz and file it back to fit the 540. Did this soon after my original post and has been working a charm since.
Sorry to revive an old post like this, but after revisiting it (I broke my 540 foot again... the Flash extender was adding too much stress on the flash foot, and it broke on a nature trip a year ago after I made a bad move, and I am willing to do an attempt to repair it (as I have no other backup flash), so I was reading all those threads again, but cannot see where to make the modification on a 360 foot to fit the 540... any details available?

thanks in advance...