Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fixing a Pentax AF540FGZ hot shoe.

This is so simple that it's almost not worth posting but I just thought it was worth showing everyone the replacement fix of a broken shoe. It's something anyone could do and save the shop charge for the repair. I got the part through Pentax Canada in about 3 days.

All you need is a clean spot to work so you don't loose the small screws and a jewelers screwdriver in Philips head. Some slide show pictures are on the bottom of the post.

Just remove the batteries when if the flash shoe breaks and allow the capacitors to drain for a few days (just to be safe).

1) Then remove 4 screws from the bottom of the broken shoe.
2) Unplug the broken one. At this point you can see the locking pin that some people have reported will cause the flash to lock on the camera body if it fails. You might want to remove that pin which is very easy. Try doing it on the broken part first. You just loosen the 4 screws inside the shoe and remove the pin quite easily.
3) The white connection plug only fits in one way. Just check the orientation of the guide tabs and plug it in.
4) Replace the screws and you're done. 60 seconds.

I only posted this in case someone wants to remove the locking pin and wanted to see what it looks like before opening the flash.

Picasa Web Albums - Peter - Flash shoe

Last edited by Peter Zack; 12-19-2008 at 09:07 AM.
12-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the part?
12-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
It was $29.95 here in Canada. I would assume the same or less from Pentax USA.
12-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
It was $29.95 here in Canada. I would assume the same or less from Pentax USA.
How did you broke it ?

12-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Shooting a wedding. The flash was on a hotshoe grip off camera. I had it over my shoulder on the second camera. One of the participants at the wedding walked past me and hit the flash fairly hard.

you have to be prepared for some equipment failure when working. I just switched to the spare.
12-23-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thank you Peter. This is the type of information that we hope we'll never need. But it sure is great to have if we do ever need it. I've been thinking of removing the pin on my 540. I just never lock it in when I have it on the camera, but that doesn't seem like a real good fix. A couple times I've noticed it started to shimmy out of the hot shoe just a bit while I was at an event shooting. Now that wouldn't be good for my flash to hit the ground falling out of the hot shoe! I pay better attention to it now.
Again, thank you for taking the time to post the photo link.
12-26-2008, 05:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The parts department for US is 1-720-988-2653. With regular shipping it came to close to $50 US.
12-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Wow that's more than the Canuck parts Dept. If anyone needs one I can connect you to my camera service Dept in Halifax NS. I would have to check but it was $35.00 tax incl (Canadian ) so with today's conversion, that's $28.50 add about $5.00 for shipping.

12-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #9

Wow, this thing is so fragile!

Do you know the part number/name for the hot shoe? May be it is sitting there somewhere on e-bay...
Or share contacts of your camera service Dept in Halifax NS...
12-28-2008, 05:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Oh I looked on Ebay for over a month for a broken AF540 or some parts. Never saw one come up. The shop is The Camera Repair Center in Halifax NS. You can find it here (address and Phone number). the camera repair center halifax - Google Search Dave will be glad to help.

As for durablity, there's nothing wrong with the design IMO. Flashes have used plastic feet since probably the 1960's?? There is a very good reason for that too. I'd much rather the shoe break off than the Hot Shoe off the camera. At least this is a simple DYI fit it task than sending in the camera to be repaired.
01-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #11

I ended buying the part at uscamera
Was ~$50 with shipping.
The nice part was that i ordered it on Sunday and the whole transaction took 2 minutes.
It came already and is works.
06-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #12

Flash Foot vs. Flash Foot Assembly?

Peter,

First off, thanks for the post - I broke the flash foot on my AF-540FGZ (the connector that fits into the "hotshoe" on the camera) this past May during a spelunking trip overseas. I saw the link that sobol posted to a site called US Camera which sells replacement parts for this flash.

Seems as though your photos show replacement of the entire assembly (wiring harness included) but seeing as only the plastic "foot" of my flash is broken, perhaps I only need just the flash foot itself? A foot for the 500 FTZ lists on that site (very close to the 540 "foot assembly" link) for considerably less than $50 - I'm going to take some photos and then try to ask both US Camera and Pentax to see if they can just sell me that one piece. I just finished taking apart the foot assembly and I agree that it's tedious work (very tiny parts and some springs that can get lost very easily), but if I can get everything back to normal for under $15, it'll be well worth the trouble.

Thanks again,
george

P.S. I didn't think the hot shoe connection was flimsy until this happened to me. Since this is my first big flash unit, can anyone else attest to having stronger hot shoe connections on other flashes or even cameras? Or is the 540 just so bulky that it's more prone to breaking off than others?

---
540FGZ Flash Foot Assembly @ US Camera:
540fgz

500FTZ Flash Foot @ US Camera:
penf004
06-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #13
DAZ
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by djpinoy Quote
P.S. I didn't think the hot shoe connection was flimsy until this happened to me. Since this is my first big flash unit, can anyone else attest to having stronger hot shoe connections on other flashes or even cameras? Or is the 540 just so bulky that it's more prone to breaking off than others?
There will always be a weakest point in a system. You can always make some point stronger until some other point is the weakest point. In MHO it is best to make sure the weakest point is the cheapest point. So do you want the weakest point the relatively inexpensive and easy part that you can repair or the camera that is expensive and that you have to send it to repair?

DAZ
06-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just wondering, do you all think it would be wise to purchase this part to have on hand just in case this part breaks. I have two 540's that I use every once in a while and have never had a problem with them. Hopefully by the end of the summer I will be using them more doing portraits.

Thanks
Jim
06-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #15
DAZ
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Just wondering, do you all think it would be wise to purchase this part to have on hand just in case this part breaks. I have two 540's that I use every once in a while and have never had a problem with them. Hopefully by the end of the summer I will be using them more doing portraits.

Thanks
Jim
In my opinion no. Most users donít break their flash, although some do. As you have 2 540s and only use them occasionally (not like some who every day, make money, wedding photographers and if that changes you may want to spend the money getting more flash units anyway) if you were to buy the part you would probably not use it. If some time much later (years) you do break it you could either still get the part, get an old used flash or you are going to want to get some new supper flash. The odds are to not get the part. Now that I have said that you will end up breaking both your 540 the day before some vital photo shoot.

DAZ