Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Days Ago   #1

Metz 58 af-2 not firing

It must have been 2-3 years since the last time I wrote on this forum, exactly the time since I stopped photographing. Now that I wanted to try it again, I went through all my gear and tested them. Of course, I forgot/didn't know what flashes must be used every now and then.
Luckily all my cactuses are still working, even a super cheap yongnuo it is. My semi-broken Metz 58 af1 is still working too, but unfortunately, my Metz 58 af-2 is not firing anymore.
I thought to ask to someone good to swap the Af2 capacitor with the AF1 one, but then I realised that the front light is still working.
Does the metz 58 af-2 have two separate capacitors for the front and main light or do I have to search for the reason for the failure somewhere else?
Another clue is that even with fresh batteries, the gun shows the low battery warning.

Last edited by sebas77; 6 Days Ago at 01:38 PM.
6 Days Ago   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sebas77 Quote
It must have been 2-3 years since the last time I wrote on this forum, exactly the time since I stopped photographing. Now that I wanted to try it again, I went through all my gear and tested them. Of course, I forgot/didn't know what flashes must be used every now and then.
Luckily all my cactuses are still working, even a super cheap yongnuo it is. My semi-broken Metz 58 af1 is still working too, but unfortunately, my Metz 58 af-2 is not firing anymore.
I thought to ask to someone good to swap the Af2 capacitor with the AF1 one, but then I realised that the front light is still working.
Does the metz 58 af-2 have two separate capacitors for the front and main light or do I have to search for the reason for the failure somewhere else?
Another clue is that even with fresh batteries, the gun shows the low battery warning.
Have you tried to clean the contacts in the battery housing? I sometimes have to with my Metz flashes. What batteries did you use? Sometimes with rechargable batteries Metz's are bit "sensitive".
6 Days Ago   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree about cleaning the contacts.
Put in fresh batteries, turn it on, and let it sit for a while. Sometimes it takes time for the capacitor to recharge after sitting unused.
6 Days Ago   #4

Original Poster
Hey, I tried that.

I think the important bit where I say that the front flash works has been overlooked. Today I also noticed that the main flash actually triggers every so often but rarely.