Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you satisfied with AF540FGZ flash?

I'm considering upgrading from my AF360 flash to something with more power, and the two best options that I see are the Pentax 540 and the Metz 58 AF1. I was leaning toward the 540 until I read several owner reviews on Amazon.com. It appears that a significant percentage of them had experienced problems with the auto-zoom locking up and requiring Pentax service. Interestingly, I had the same problem with my 360 after only a few outings with it. This seems to be a fairly common problem with these two units which to my mind, at least, suggests a design error. Does anyone know if the flash units being sold today are just as prone to hang up as ones sold say a year ago? If you own a 540 are you satisfied with it? Usually when I try to save a few bucks (about 90 in this case) I wind up regreting it. The Metz apparently performs as well as or in some respects slightly better than the Pentax and from what I have read is very well built. Your thoughts and recommendations appreciated.

CN

12-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #2

The 540 is a pretty good strobe. I haven't experienced the problem with the Zoom lockup. Lots of features and lots of adaptability when you use it the with F5P cord and hotshoe adapter for off camera lighting, which gives you all the same options (P-TTL, AUTO, MANUAL) as if it were on the camera. Cool.

The only complaint I have of it is that the ring that you turn on the hotshoe to secure it can get a little loose over time. A number of users have reported tightening the loose ring so much that they actually broke it and the flash was stuck on the body.

The Metz DOES look interesting though. If I wouldn't have gone with the 540, the Metz 48, which is about the same price I would've gone with. The Metz 58 is rather pricey though.
12-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happy with my 540. It seems to do what is asked of it. Haven't had the zoom problem or lock problem. Only slightly tighten locking collar - flash fits very tightly w/o using any way. Like extra power, swivel, and cord plug in vs 360.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #13 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #14. Any brand camera. Enter now!
12-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have three AF540FGZ flash units. One is used as a normal portable flash with the camera and all three with battery packs are used as a portable studio strobe setup. I never had problems with any of the flash units and am quite satisfied with their performance. My only problem was with a broken cord which forced me to go wireless (which wasn't the ideal for that situation) through the rest of that particular session. Don't have the Metz, so don't know how the two compare.

stewart

12-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, guys, for your response. Having just taken the base off my 360 and removed any chance of it "permanently" locking onto the camera that is no longer a consideration. (I'm assuming here that the 540 locking mechanism is the same) Unfortunately, that leaves the question of a non-functioning zoom mechanism, which although it may be a relatively rare problem, is, nevertheless, an all too common one. I can't help but wonder if Pentax has done anything to correct what has to be either a design or manufacturing problem.

CN
12-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had the AF540 ever since I got my K10D 2 years ago. It is a very good flash, and it has never given me any cause for concern.

I have a feeling, however the strobe time is slightly longer than my AF500FTZ, as I have the feeling that shots taken with my *istD using the AF500FTZ are slightly sharper.

WHat I like about the AF540FGZ is the ability to set it to "auto mode" and use it with K series lenses on my K10D. Not quite as good as true ttl with my *istD but much better than manual flash.

Due to the multi modes it is a very versitile flash
12-26-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Lowell.

CN

12-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
WHat I like about the AF540FGZ is the ability to set it to "auto mode" and use it with K series lenses on my K10D. Not quite as good as true ttl with my *istD but much better than manual flash.
For what it's worth, you get this with the Pentax AF360FGZ and Metz 58 AF-1 too. (But not the Metz 48 AF-1 — something I do miss sometimes.)