Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Problem with Sigma-flash - won't fire

I have a Sigma EF-530 DG Super that I got a while ago, but prior to yesterday I have just used it a few times. Yesterday I used it for about 100 shots, but suddenly it would not fire. The display and other functions seem to work OK, I have changed batteries, etc., and the flash still will not fire. There is no message or indication that anything is wrong. It even zooms as it is supposed to, but the fire just will not fire.

Does anyone else have this kind of experience with the Sigma flashes or other flashes? Any idea of what's wrong? I guess it's probably something with the "hardware", and not just an error with the settings?

Thanks for help!

I use it with a K10D, btw.

Last edited by ES80; 12-25-2008 at 02:30 PM.
12-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

is your shutter faster than 1/180?
12-26-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No, slower speeds. It won't fire using the "Test" button on the flash either, so I guess it's some kind of problem within the flash.
12-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the test button (with the flash off camera) won't trigger the unit, Then I guess it's a flash issue that needs service. I'm not totally familar with this unit (only tested it in a store), does the unit make that typical high pitched whine when the unit is charging up the cells? Does it make that noise now? If so maybe the bulb is defective.

Since it's a fairly new model, is it under warranty?

12-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It makes the whinig sound, and the light indicate that it's charged. I guess a defective bulb is a probable explanation. I guess I'll have to take it to the store. It's under warranty yes.

Do you know if this is something they could fix in the store, or will it have to be sent in for service?

Thanks for your opinions. I have had my suspicions that it could be the bulb or something else with the "hardware", but as I can't get it to the store for another week or so, I just wanted to make sure I'm not making some kind of stupid mistake that I could easily fix myself.