Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2023, 08:48 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cheap flash meter option is to use a dslr to check exposure and then use film camera after.

01-02-2023, 10:25 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think the OP said they didn't want to do that...
01-02-2023, 11:11 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
Strictly speaking he said he didn’t love the idea. I can imagine either path working but if film ttl flash with wireless is needed… I’m not aware of any brand that does that even with other cameras.

Here’s an example (Nikon): Nikon camera TTL History - What is TTL, D-TTL, iTTL (film Nikon ttl doesn’t allow individual flash control it’s metered and quenched all at once. )
01-03-2023, 01:13 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
As Yoda would say..... "Do not think.... Do"

01-03-2023, 07:31 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
As Yoda would say..... "Do not think.... Do"
What?!?
01-04-2023, 06:08 PM   #21

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the suggestions!

Seems as if to really do this right, I'll have to let go of the idea of using TTL and commit to a manual workflow with a cheap DSLR.

If that's the case, Would I be better off with flashes that trigger optically, or look into a radio system like Godox?
01-04-2023, 07:25 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by royalnegotiation Quote
Would I be better off with flashes that trigger optically, or look into a radio system like Godox?
I use Neewer radio triggers that cost $30 for two receivers and a transmitter. More expensive systems give you the ability to change individual flash settings remotely (which is much more convenient than moving to each flash every time you change a setting) along with longer range. For portrait work optical triggers might work without issues but only worked about a quarter of the time for me at a wedding reception. Fortunately I was only taking pictures for my own use.

01-04-2023, 08:38 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by royalnegotiation Quote
Thanks guys for the suggestions!

Seems as if to really do this right, I'll have to let go of the idea of using TTL and commit to a manual workflow with a cheap DSLR.

If that's the case, Would I be better off with flashes that trigger optically, or look into a radio system like Godox?
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I use Neewer radio triggers that cost $30 for two receivers and a transmitter. More expensive systems give you the ability to change individual flash settings remotely (which is much more convenient than moving to each flash every time you change a setting) along with longer range. For portrait work optical triggers might work without issues but only worked about a quarter of the time for me at a wedding reception. Fortunately I was only taking pictures for my own use.
I've used cheap triggers and Flashpoint/Godox and Cactus (V6) and I like them all for that they are. The cheap ones are a bit of a pain if you have a flash inside a light modifier since you have to access it at that point. The cactus ones worked really well but I used the v6 (pseudo manual) and liked that. The Godox seems to work well but I haven't done as much with flash with them.
01-12-2023, 10:25 PM   #24
Veteran Member

In the olden days, It wasn't uncommon for folks use to use Polaroids to check exposure before firing off the more expensive Film. Using a DSRL in this context is not to far removed from that workflow really I suppose "shrugs"

+1 for what Uncle said. If you ok with walking to and from each flash to adjust, cheap radio triggers with manually adjustable flashes work fine. I offer it gets annoying lowering stands to get to the back of the flashes to change settings, then you have to reset, was it the same as last time? and it all takes time etc etc etc.

I've just splurged with a set of Godox Speedlights, TT600. They are GN60, ~4s recycle at 1/1 power, manually adjustable down to 1/128th, and more importantly, can be controlled remotely by their little controllers. I can now leave my lights up high on stands or whatever, and adjust power from the controller on top of my camera.

These flashes were $100(au) each, and the controller was $80(au)

Noice.