Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2023, 02:10 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New Godox XPro II flash triggers

A new version of Godox's popular XPro flash trigger has been flagged for release, including a Pentax version. It looks a little different, but I'm not sure what has changed, apart from adding Bluetooth (is that new?).

02-09-2023, 02:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
A new version of Godox's popular XPro flash trigger has been flagged for release, including a Pentax version. It looks a little different, but I'm not sure what has changed, apart from adding Bluetooth (is that new?).
Yes, Bluetooth is new. There's not much changed overall.
02-09-2023, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Yes, Bluetooth is new. There's not much changed overall.
... apart from an extra $20 on the price.
02-09-2023, 02:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

... apart from an extra $20 on the price.
LOL! That too.

02-09-2023, 06:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lack of covers on the side USB and Sync ports is a little worrisome. In my limited experience with Godox equipment among my students there is a certain lack of robustness in the components that makes me uneasy.
02-09-2023, 07:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The lack of covers on the side USB and Sync ports is a little worrisome. In my limited experience with Godox equipment among my students there is a certain lack of robustness in the components that makes me uneasy.
They were covered in Version 1!

UPDATE
=======

In response to my question about the ports, B&H replied
The ports on the Godox XPro II TTL Wireless Flash Trigger for Pentax Cameras
BH #GOXPROIIP are not covered. Similar to the previous version this unit is not weather sealed.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 02-10-2023 at 01:09 PM.
02-10-2023, 10:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I've been puting an eye on this new trigger. I think it has no new features, except maybe the single pin mode (not sure, but I think the XT1 also had it) that can be useful for Pentax users.
But in my area price is 120€! so I'll pass...
I've sold all my old Godox triggers (I'm 'optimizing' my equipment), and my idea was to get the Xpro II version, but not at this price. So I'll get the X2T instead.
XPro has been my preferred trigger but now I find the X2T more convenient with the last firmware improvements.

Regards.

02-10-2023, 10:19 PM   #8

A new version of Godox's popular XPro flash trigger has been flagged for release, including a Pentax version.
Wow. Good news! The initial announcement I saw didn't mention a Pentax version at all (which is why I didn't post about it here—why rub salt in the wound?), nor does the Godox website product page for the Xpro II. Also, the Leica shooters are still paying $130 for their version. The usual red-dot premium, I suppose.

QuoteQuote:
It looks a little different, but I'm not sure what has changed, apart from adding Bluetooth (is that new?).
Yes it's new on the XPro, not new on the X2T and the Flashpoint R2 Pro II. Whether you want to use the app when it requires you to create a login, give it your smartphone's phone number, and give it access to your location information to use it is a completely different thing. (eyeroll).

Near as I can suss out from looking at the user manuals, nothing super-substantial was added, but it's mainly upgrading to be on a par with the V1/V860 III/TT685 II and X2T/R2 Pro II feature set.
  • Slide lock instead of screw lock
  • ID code displayed on main screen
  • If sync delay is set indicator on main screen
  • New graphical function menu
  • Single-pin mode
  • SCAN function (to find least-crowded channels)
  • Bluetooth capability (to use with app)
  • SHOOT function rearranged: no more APP setting, but now a new L-858 mode for the Sekonic RT-GX unit.
  • USB-C (not micro USB)
  • Channel and MULTI are now function settings.
  • Sync now called (wrongly [eyeroll]) PC Jack [someone needs to explain to them that PC stands for Prontor-Compur, not just any sync jack]
  • Step function now can define either decimal (#.#) or ratio display (1/#), and set minimal power limit, as well as 0.3EV or 0.1EV units [XPro required firmware update to do this]
  • TCM also updated with more options for the light to define as the base.
  • New TEST Button setting (TRIGGER / SHUTTER). No idea what that means. [grin].
  • You can save presets under the USER function (similar to the old Godox app).
  • Modelling lamp control expanded (adjust the modelling lamp of each light separately in Proportional and Percentage

And Wes Perry mentions it also inherits the X2T's ability to turn a group on/off simply by double-tapping the group button.

Also of no interest to you Pentaxians, but Canon folks are hearing the XPro II-C is going to fix the TTL+HSS issue with the EOS R bodies.

---------- Post added 02-10-23 at 09:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
I've been puting an eye on this new trigger. I think it has no new features, except maybe the single pin mode (not sure, but I think the XT1 also had it) that can be useful for Pentax users.
But in my area price is 120€! so I'll pass...
You sure you're not looking at a listing for the Leica version? in the US, the XProL II is $130, while the other versions are $90.

Last edited by inkista; 02-10-2023 at 10:32 PM.
02-10-2023, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

People interested in this new Godox trigger should also have a look at the "Flashpoint R2 Pro MarkII 2.4GHz".

Functionally, they should be the same (modulo very minor details, perhaps) and ergonomically, the R2 Pro MarkII is better, in my view.
Plus, it's just $69 (USD), instead of $89 (USD) for the new Godox trigger.
02-11-2023, 07:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
You sure you're not looking at a listing for the Leica version? in the US, the XProL II is $130, while the other versions are $90.
I'm afraid I'm looking the correct version. Yes, Leica was the first mk II that Godox developed, and the most expensive trigger from Godox, but it seems that in my area (Spain) price is similar for other camera brands. 120€ for Xpro II, 74€ Xpro I, 62€ X2T. If I could get the mk II for 90€... well, I could still consider it.
Single pin is a feature quite interesting for me, but I don΄t want to pay 60€ just for this. I think I'm not going to use any of the other improvements/refinements.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
People interested in this new Godox trigger should also have a look at the "Flashpoint R2 Pro MarkII 2.4GHz".

Functionally, they should be the same (modulo very minor details, perhaps) and ergonomically, the R2 Pro MarkII is better, in my view.
Plus, it's just $69 (USD), instead of $89 (USD) for the new Godox trigger.
I read about this trigger time ago and found it very interesting (for the price), but It was not available here at that time, and it's not available now .

So... the cheap X2T will be enough for me for now

[UPDATE]

Seems that Godox store EU is listing this trigger for 98€ (still not available), free shipping continental europe, and I have a 10% coupon... I have to think again about the trigger. 90€ is still a lot of money for a trigger.

Last edited by morenjavi; 02-11-2023 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Updated info
02-11-2023, 02:34 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it's just $69 (USD), instead of $89 (USD) for the new Godox trigger.
For reference I paid over $350AUD each for my Elinchrom triggers.

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Sync now called (wrongly [eyeroll]) PC Jack [someone needs to explain to them that PC stands for Prontor-Compur, not just any sync jack]
―\_(ツ)_/―

he R2 Pro MarkII is better, in my view.
At least they have those side connectors covered.
02-11-2023, 04:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
But only available in the US (via Adorama)?
02-15-2023, 07:29 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is the proper link: https://www.adorama.com/fprrxproiip.html?
02-17-2023, 07:38 PM   #14

But only available in the US (via Adorama)?
Yup. The Flashpoint R2 Pro II and SPT (single-pin transceiver) are both Adorama exclusives, so not readily available or affordable outside the US.

Outside the US, the Xpro II is probably the closest you can easily get to an R2 Pro II, or at least its Bluetooth and SCAN functions.

And, some folks still prefer the XPro group button arrangement vs. the R2 Pro II arcing them around the wheel and SET button, and anecdotally there are stories of (mostly Nikon) folks having misfire issues with the R2 Pro II they don't with the XPro.
02-05-2024, 07:58 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Just found this thread, since I bricked my xpro P trying to update its firmware. I need a replacement, and finding this thread I am looking for the the xpro II for Pentax and ... well, it never materialized? I can only find versions for Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Olympus, Sony ... every other existing company. Ok, I am going to buy the same old again, then.

Have you guys ever updated it?