Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2023, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my Pentax ring flash new, only a few years ago. I wasn't aware it was no longer available.

I'll treasure it even more now

By the way, I have moved the thread to the Flash sub-forum.

03-17-2023, 06:48 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Like many, that seller has a lot of legal waffle but fails to say what the dedication module is, nor shows a photo of the rear so we could identify it. Says it is for a K7 or K100D, but then says it is Nikon compatible. I would not like to mix a Nikon module with a Pentax camera because the functions of the Ready and TTL auxiliary contacts are reversed. I don't think that seller ships to Europe anyway. FWIW, I paid £10 for one of those, mint : Sunpak DX-8R reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database .

I'd recommend it except that the throat size (52mm) is rather small for modern lenses. The Sunpak DX-12R Sunpak Auto DX 12R Ring Light reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database has a larger throat (62mm) but being more modern it lacks any Auto mode. The TTL modes on these flashes are useless for modern cameras of course, but chimping works.
The D FA 100 macro is 49mm as is the Sigma 70mm. The Tamron 90mm uses a 55mm filter thread but that may have limited impact.

The seller can be asked what module is included. And I’ve used a Nikon flash in a Pentax in manual mode without problems.

I too paid less than this for my 8r, but that was years ago, I’m not sure it’s relevant to today’s market. But at that price that’s was a steal.
03-17-2023, 11:09 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
For even more power and versatility, have a look at Godox's R200 head for their AD200 strobe...
To me, that's more if you want an on-camera beauty dish or a ring flash for fashion shooting. And you have to also already own the AD200 and a transmitter. Kind of big and expensive.

I'd actually point to the Godox MF12 and maybe an XPro II-P if you just wanted a TTL twin flash setup for macro. No mention of HSS in the specs, though, and the battery is integrated, which is a PITA. The MF12s have built-in radio triggering, but can also do "dumb" optical S1/S2 triggering, and individually are tiny. It's kind of a blatant copy of the Nikon R1C1.

03-18-2023, 12:39 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you can't find quite what you're looking for, I have an AF080C in Ireland that I keep planning to put on the market. It served me quite well before I was able to get my hands on an AF160FC. The AF080C isn't automatic but it's fairly predictable. It's a bit more compact than the AF160FC and threads onto the D FA 100mm macro as well as the DA 35mm Ltd macro. I used it extensively in Panama and Hong Kong for insects, spiders, flowers, mushrooms etc.

03-18-2023, 01:14 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Godox.
03-18-2023, 03:51 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Much of the value of using flash in handheld macro photography in general comes from eliminating camera movement blur at high magnification through extremely short exposures. Continuous light doesn't provide that, neither does SR sufficiently. Sensor pixel pitch is 4.86 µm on the K-1, so at 1:1 that amount of uncompensated lateral camera movement starts to reduce captured detail. Even in bright sunlight, my exposures at 1:1 and f/11 have less detail from motion blur or noise (choose your evil) than flash exposures.
That ultra quick burst of flash helps freeze motion (be it our shake motion or etc).

---------- Post added 03-18-23 at 03:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
If you can't find quite what you're looking for, I have an AF080C in Ireland that I keep planning to put on the market. It served me quite well before I was able to get my hands on an AF160FC. The AF080C isn't automatic but it's fairly predictable. It's a bit more compact than the AF160FC and threads onto the D FA 100mm macro as well as the DA 35mm Ltd macro. I used it extensively in Panama and Hong Kong for insects, spiders, flowers, mushrooms etc.
Same.
I have an AF080C listed on Marketplace here.

But i reckon, shipping from Ireland (to USA) be cheaper than from Singapore.
04-04-2023, 01:19 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello all,

Update on my quest. I found a second hand AF160FC on KEH, including all adapters. I'll be expecting it in a few weeks or so... I'll be spending some time testing and getting to know it, so I will master it fully by the time of my South American trip later this year. Looking forward to this. Thanks very much for your input!!

grtz, Wim

04-16-2023, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Final update: I've received the flash from KEH and tested it yesterday. It works beautifully on my K-3 mark III with the SMC DFA100/2.8 macro. I love the controls being extremely intuitive. Also the 5 way switch on the flash head plus its easy rotation is great for sculpting the light. Don't know why I didn't buy it all those years ago when it first came out. This is going to serve me fine. Happy days.