Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2023, 12:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Wireless flash

Can (1) Pentax AF 540 FGZ ii work as an off camera flash with the Pentax K-1 and Pentax K-3 ? If not, what connections are required? I would like to hold the flash off camera for fill flash. I don't use a flash but was considering the 540 flash as an improvement in my photography.

03-20-2023, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bscott Quote
Can (1) Pentax AF 540 FGZ ii work as an off camera flash with the Pentax K-1 and Pentax K-3 ? If not, what connections are required? I would like to hold the flash off camera for fill flash. I don't use a flash but was considering the 540 flash as an improvement in my photography.
With the K3 you can use the AF 540 FGZ I or II as an off camera flash triggered either optically via the built in flash, or wirelessly with a suitable trigger and reciever.

The K-1 has no built in flash, so you need to use wireless (radio) options , or buy another Pentax flash that can trigger the AF 540 but not contribute to the flash output for the shot.

My recommendation is to go for wireless radio triggers.

Last edited by pschlute; 03-20-2023 at 01:46 PM.
03-20-2023, 01:13 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would recommend Godox flashes and transmitters. A transmitter itself will trigger off camera Godox flashes, and also the Godox flashes themselves are capable of being used as a transmitter if placed in the hot shoe of the camera being used. I have two Godox V-1 flashes and a Godox XPro-P transmitter along with other Godox flashes. Due to the rechargeable battery that comes with the V-1, I do not need to use AA batteries any more and the amount of shots that can be generated by the battery are plentiful. I used to use Pentax AF-360FGZ flashes and a Yongnuo flash, but decided to switch to Godox. From what I have seen recently the Godox V-1 is priced lower on the internet than the AF540FGZ, for example at B and H. If you do buy a V-1 you would get the Godox V-1 for Pentax model.

Of course the choice is yours, but I would recommend Godox.

Below are shortcuts to the Godox V-1 for Pentax and the Godox X-Pro-P transmitter listings at B and H. Both of those themselves are less expensive than a new AF540FGZ. And like I said, the Godox flashes themselves will act as transmitters to fire off camera Godox flashes if placed in the hot shoe of your camera. The Xpro-P is also excellent if you want just the transmitter itself to fire your Godox flashes off camera.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1466064-REG/godox_v1_p_v1_flash_for_pentax.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1432377-REG/godox_xprop_ttl_wireless_flash_trigger.html

Last edited by C_Jones; 03-20-2023 at 01:39 PM.
03-20-2023, 01:14 PM - 2 Likes   #4

Photos: Albums
You can use the built-in flash on the K-3 to control the 540 wirelessly with full P-TTL automation. You cannot do the same with the K-1 since the camera doesn't have a built-in flash.
With the K-1 you can use a second Pentax flash with wireless control capability (360 and 540, both I and II versions) to control your 540 off camera.

The Pentax wireless flash control uses an optical path so the camera and the remote flash need to be in sight of each other. Radio triggered flash systems don't need camera an remote flash to be in direct sight.

P.D.: Sorry for the redundancy, didn't saw Peter's answer

03-21-2023, 08:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the information. I'm going to give the Godox system a try. Thanks
03-21-2023, 01:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks for the information. I'm going to give the Godox system a try. Thanks
Wise decision.

Happy shooting!
03-21-2023, 04:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am going to move this to the Flash sub forum where it may be more useful to future viewers.

03-22-2023, 06:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

This is a shortcut to a tutorial video for the Godox V1 flash basic functions in case you are interested. Also an X-Pro tutorial is below that in case you are interested in that. Of course, if you did decide on either one, the for Pentax version would be the proper one.

Last edited by C_Jones; 03-22-2023 at 06:46 AM.
03-22-2023, 07:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
C_Jones, thanks you have been very helpful in answering my questions.
03-22-2023, 12:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

C_Jones, thanks you have been very helpful in answering my questions.
You're very welcome. I wish you the best. The Godox equipment is user friendly, and I am sure you will learn the step by step use. After using it for awhile I became familiar with it, and it is really nice to use. Sometimes it is trial and error learning, but it will seem simple after you are familiar with using it.
03-25-2023, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I ordered the flash and transmitter on Tuesday and received them on Friday afternoon from B&H. Excited to take on the learning curve and thanks for everyones help.
03-25-2023, 08:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to hold the flash off camera for fill flash.
I ordered the flash and transmitter on Tuesday
I am sure you made the right choice. I'm not a fan of optical triggering, especially if you are holding the off camera flash. Bright ambient light and how you hold the flash will affect the operation of optical triggering.
03-25-2023, 01:11 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I ordered the flash and transmitter on Tuesday and received them on Friday afternoon from B&H. Excited to take on the learning curve and thanks for everyones help.
Nice choices.