Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2023, 04:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Cactus Flash Trigger V6 and V6II Firmware Update Server - need help with .fir files

Hi all,

now that the cactus update server is down there's no way to update the firmware with Updater version 3.07 which requires a connection to said server but with the old version 2.01 no server is needed, just the appropriate firmware *.fir file.

User 'Class A' was of great help finding a solution how to update the firmware 'off-line' but doesn't have all of the latest firmware files.

Does anyone have the latest firmware files downloaded (for example PEN.A.005 or CAN.A.004) and is willing to share them?
I would need the ".fir" files - "CactusV6II_PEN.A.005.fir" and "CactusV6II_CAN.A.004.fir".

I have the update installer 2.01 that doesn't check for the update server and with the correct ".fir" files I could update my various triggers.

Thanks in advance.

04-07-2023, 07:06 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carpediem007 Quote
I have the update installer 2.01 that doesn't check for the update server and with the correct ".fir" files I could update my various triggers.
I checked my files, and have updater 1.1.44 and 3.0.2, as well as 3.07. But sadly no .fir files.

I wish you good luck
04-07-2023, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #3

Ohs snap! I bought 2 of the V6ii just over a month ago, this is not good timing!

I've got one firmware file, which should be the latest pentax 005. Although I think the installer behaviour was to dowload the chosen firmware, naming it, "CactusV6II.fir" so I am not positive of this. I could see myself having screwed around with the installer after updating my triggers... I am uncertain of how to check this, but will happily send you the .fir that I've got. I would like to find a copy of the earlier installer as well!
04-07-2023, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi, that's great news.

When I get home I'll send you a link to download the updater 2.01 file...

Perhaps you can send me a Google drive link to the.fir file or you could send it to my email address (I could send it to you in a PM).

Michael

QuoteOriginally posted by meiaformiga Quote
Ohs snap! I bought 2 of the V6ii just over a month ago, this is not good timing!

I've got one firmware file, which should be the latest pentax 005. Although I think the installer behaviour was to dowload the chosen firmware, naming it, "CactusV6II.fir" so I am not positive of this. I could see myself having screwed around with the installer after updating my triggers... I am uncertain of how to check this, but will happily send you the .fir that I've got. I would like to find a copy of the earlier installer as well!

04-07-2023, 01:16 PM - 6 Likes   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
How to update the V6 & V6II firmware without update server - use at own risk!

Hello all

Sorry, just a short disclaimer first:
These instructions are for Windows only (I used them on Windows 10, no guarantee it works on earlier Windows versions and I haven't tried any of this on a Mac).
I am not the creator of any of the files I'm linking to. If something bad happens to your equipment while using those files, don't blame me.
Do or don't do anything I describe in the following at your own risk. Exercise due diligence etc. and only do this if you need to update the firmware to the newest 'Multi-brand' version (see below, step 4).
Going back to the firmware installed in your trigger before doing the upgrade described below is only possible if you have a copy of the appropriate firmware .fir file.

This is what I did:

1. download the cactus updater 2.02 using the following direct link:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160310001441/http://www.cactus-image.com/cactus_updater.zip

Updater 2.02 works for V6 and V6II triggers but does not need a connection to the cactus update server which is down.

For a copy of the cactus website with downloads etc. as of March 10th, 2016, which also lists the above download in its download section, follow this link:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160310001441/http://www.cactus-image.com/downloads.html
(The website lists the file as version 2.01 but as you will see during the setup it is actually version 2.02).

For the latest available copy of the cactus website (last updated October 13th, 2022, again with downloads of manuals, quick start guides, current updater etc.) follow this link:
https://web.archive.org/web/20221013123601/https://www.cactus-image.com/

And for a list of all the 'snap shots' of the cactus website from 2008 to 2022:
https://web.archive.org/web/20220101000000*/http://www.cactus-image.com/

2. Unzip the cactus_updater.exe to a directory of your chosing and run the setup.exe file.

3. During the installation change the suggested installation directory to e.g. 'Cactus Updater 202' (so not to overwrite your 3.07 installation of the updater and also change the 'Start directory' accordingly).

4. Currently I have only the most up to date firmware file 'V61.A.003 Multi-brand' for V6 and the latest 'V62.A.001 Multi-brand HSS' for the V6II, not the flash specific HHS firmware like PEN.A.005 etc. for v6II.
You should be able to download those two files here: Update your browser to use Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Sites, Slides, and Forms - Google Drive Help

5. Copy those two files to the 'Cactus Updater 202' directory overwriting the ones already there.

6. Connect your V6 or V6II (see the manual how to start the 'Firmware Update Mode') and run the Updater. After a few seconds you should be presented with the choice to update by pressing 'Update'.

7. When the update is finished exit the updater and disconnect the trigger. You should now have the latest 'Multibrand' firmware installed.

I hope this helps anyone who bought a used trigger with old firmware (see the manual for how to check the firmware version).

If any of you has any flash specific HHS firmware like PEN.A.005 etc. please let me know.

I hope these instructions are clear enough (English is not my native language and I'm no technical writer).

Good luck

Michael
04-08-2023, 08:34 AM   #6

Thank yous Michael, for the infos, links, and work to find all of that!

I've installed the 2.02 Updater now, and wanted to try re-flashing one of my triggers to confirm that I have not indeed downloaded one of the other firmwares, if I did screw around with software/firmwares. The 2.02 Updater does not recognize either of my triggers. I did not has this problem with the later Updater, and Windows sees the device when I turn it on with the menu button depressed. So, I has no idea what's going on. I would guess that the updater doesn't recognize the later firmware.
The firmware file for the V6ii that I do have, should be the Pentax.005 firmware. I'll happily email it to anyone here that sends me a pm. Sorries, I do not know how to confirm this, and I has no idea how to make a googly share for y'all, although i will look into this laters.

I am interacting rather than lurking, and this is weird. :/

~Gracie
04-09-2023, 09:50 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by meiaformiga Quote
Thank yous Michael, for the infos, links, and work to find all of that!

I've installed the 2.02 Updater now, and wanted to try re-flashing one of my triggers to confirm that I have not indeed downloaded one of the other firmwares, if I did screw around with software/firmwares. The 2.02 Updater does not recognize either of my triggers. I did not has this problem with the later Updater, and Windows sees the device when I turn it on with the menu button depressed. So, I has no idea what's going on. I would guess that the updater doesn't recognize the later firmware.
The firmware file for the V6ii that I do have, should be the Pentax.005 firmware. I'll happily email it to anyone here that sends me a pm. Sorries, I do not know how to confirm this, and I has no idea how to make a googly share for y'all, although i will look into this laters.

I am interacting rather than lurking, and this is weird. :/

~Gracie
Hi Gracie,
thanks for the info.

I'll look into it. I'm planning to do a screen recording of my setup, how I install and update the firmware (upgrade and downgrade) of my V6 and V6II triggers during the week.
I've had no problem with the 'procedure'...

Happy holidays,
Michael

05-02-2023, 09:15 AM   #8

Hello,
I found this discussion about updating the firmware for Cactus triggers and I am also asking for help here.
I have three V6 triggers with version 2.1.001
I have another one with version V6 A.1.001 which with the described procedure on a Windows Pc I was able to upgrade to V6 V1.1.018.
As I read somewhere the two firmware versions 1 and 2 do not communicate with each other for the radio protocol change.
I therefore wanted to unify the firware of all my triggers.

Unfortunately connecting one of the three with version 2.1.001 to the Windows Pc does not get detected by the 2.02 updater.
I would also be fine with bringing my three back to V6 1.1.018....

Last edited by AndreaM1t; 05-07-2023 at 10:41 AM.
05-31-2023, 09:23 PM   #9

Hi Michael,

Thank you for posting the awesome information much appreciated. I have several V6 II and was wondering if you would have the older firmware version 1.1.013 please.
06-08-2023, 01:36 AM - 2 Likes   #10

Hi Michael,Thanks for the useful information. She helped me a lot.I have the tsattus v6II firmware, for all systems, as well as the multisystem firmware versions: 1.1.006 and 1.1.013. Anyone who needs them can download them from here:
Update your browser to use Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Sites, Slides, and Forms - Google Drive Help
Hope it's useful for you.

---------- Post added 06-08-23 at 01:48 AM ----------

Hi Michael,Thanks for the useful information. She helped me a lot.I have the cacus v6II flash specific HHS firmware, for all systems, as well as the multisystem firmware versions: 1.1.006 and 1.1.013. Anyone who needs them can download them from here:
Update your browser to use Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Sites, Slides, and Forms - Google Drive Help
Hope it's useful for you.
06-11-2023, 09:57 PM - 2 Likes   #11

Thank you very much @bubo_bubo_I much appreciated!
07-06-2023, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #12

I think I can help...

Hi, carpediem
I do have all the latest firmware files downloaded, and I've put them on my Google Drive: Update your browser to use Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Sites, Slides, and Forms - Google Drive Help
However, because of some bugs w/ the new "A" firmware, I'd prefer to switch all my equipment to the previous "legacy" version (the one w/ numbers)
Does anyone have those? It'd be greatly appreciated
Good luck flashing!
07-14-2023, 06:15 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So has anyone been able to 'downgrade' the firmware from the latest to an older version?

I picked up 4 of the V6II's for a really cheap price recently but they were flashed with the Olympus (OLY.A.004) firmware.

Trying to use the v2.02 firmware updater like Michael (carpedium007) detailed above does not work for me. (similar to miaformiga above)

I am able to download and install the updater but it will not recognize the triggers.
Following the directions in the updater:
1 removing the batteries
2 plugging in the USB cable
3 holding down the Menu button and turning it on.

The triggers LED will flash red, and on my windows machine I can see the Cactus v6ii device

But the updater just sits there with the message.
"No device connected"

I also tried an even older v1.13 updater.

My suspicion is that the A.004 firmware changes the communication enough that the old 2.02 updater doesn't recognize it.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks

---------- Post added 07-14-23 at 10:00 PM ----------

Found an updater that recognized my triggers I had to download the v2.07 version from the
September 2016 snapshot: Downloads | CACTUS

Out of the box this installs firmware 1.1.006 I will try and install some of the more recent firmwares later.[COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by smrk; 07-14-2023 at 07:01 PM.
07-20-2023, 03:33 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
Hi, I am new to this forum and I was very pleased to find some help. I managed to change the firmware of my cactus v6 II, initially with the latest multi brand update (V1.1.0.13), after installing the 2.07 updater (figured as 2.06 on cactus webarchive download page and showing 2.07 after installation) of September 2016 Downloads | CACTUS on windows 10. After installation I suppressed all .fir files from the "program file" and placed there the firmware I needed to install on my cactus v6ii + changed the file name of that firmware with " CactusV6II.fir" .
01-30-2024, 10:24 AM   #15

No device connected

Hello,
first of all I want to thanks everybody who gave very detailled explanation for the update of those triggers.
I have 2 triggers Cactus V6 since few years and i updated these when the server still exist. So these 2 triggers have the version : V6.1.A.003
Two triggers are not enough to try some new apllication with flashes and then I buy to other Trigger . These 2 triggers have the version V1.1.008. So the 4 triggers don(t communicate between theyr, and then I wanted to install the same version to all of them.

Regarding the previous posts I install the updater firmware (V2.02) and the file CactusV6_128K.fir.

My problem : when I started the firmware (Cactus Firmware Updater.exe), it start (I mean, I have the window on my screen) but the status is : No device connected.
I try to connect the trigger after the window appear, I try to connect before to the start the updater, it's always the same status : No device connected.
Is there somebody who can help me ?
Thank You very much in advance
Glesil42

Last edited by Glesil42; 02-08-2024 at 01:44 PM.