Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2023, 04:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Help flash Metz mecablitz 26 AF-1

Hello I have a flash Metz mecablitz 26 AF-1, which does not end up going well, does not work, cleaned the contacts of the flash camera and remains the same. Where can I download the flash firmware? I know that Metz closed I can not find a way to download the firmwre. Thank you

04-22-2023, 05:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gopersuel Quote
Hello I have a flash Metz mecablitz 26 AF-1, which does not end up going well, does not work, cleaned the contacts of the flash camera and remains the same. Where can I download the flash firmware? I know that Metz closed I can not find a way to download the firmwre. Thank you
Which camera? It is always helpful if you describe what the problem is and with which camera. If it does not work the most silly answer I can give is, did you put batteries in it and did you do that in the right position? And that does not sound helpful, does it? You can not download the firmware anymore now that Metz Canada closed down as well.
04-22-2023, 06:43 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply. I have tried the flash on a K-1 and on a K5-II the problem persists, sometimes it worked, now it doesn't. However, I can switch from TTl to slave, turn on the support led light. I think it is a problem of contacts, but I see no way to fix it and I have tried, the unit is new, although it has slept for a while on the shelf without batteries of course. Any ideas... or do I consider buying another flash?
Thank you for your time.
04-22-2023, 07:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any ideas
Just to be clear....what mode are you using it in, and specifically what is your shutter speed set at ?

04-22-2023, 08:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Thank you for your reply. I have tried the flash on a K-1 and on a K5-II the problem persists, sometimes it worked, now it doesn't. However, I can switch from TTl to slave, turn on the support led light. I think it is a problem of contacts, but I see no way to fix it and I have tried, the unit is new, although it has slept for a while on the shelf without batteries of course. Any ideas... or do I consider buying another flash?
Thank you for your time.
It sometimes works and sometimes it does not. My 26 AF-1 does the same. And indeed after I have not used for a while. Only thing that helps in my case is removing the flash, put it back on, remove it again, put it back on and then it works. Seems that the contacts of the flash need to scrape the contacts on the camera clean, even though I use the flash cap of my camera's. I have the same flash for my Samsung NX's and with these camera's I do not have that problem.... Make sure that the contactpoints from the flash can move, when attaching the flash the contactpoints need to move upwards into the flash for making good contact. Before attaching you with the of a fingernail move these contacts inwards, to be sure they can move when mounting on the camera.
04-22-2023, 12:12 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your answers. It's funny, I've tried the flash on an * IstDL and it has worked, without the slightest problem, to see if I can get it to work on the K1.
04-24-2023, 09:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where can I download the flash firmware? I know that Metz closed I can not find a way to download the firmwre.
A couple years ago I downloaded firmware for my 64 through Metz CA. I had to use Windows XP to update the firmware. I spent hours trying to install the firmware until i found that out.

Windows 7 would not work. I do not recall if I tried compatability mode for XP. The file I downloaded needed to phone home and made a check on the flash in order to install. I believe it allowed better performance with the K-1. Anything newer than the K-1 will not be fully supported for any Metz flash.

At the time I updated my 64, I also downloaded a file named "MB_26_AF_Pentax_V1.3_GB.zip" in case I were to ever buy one. Updating firmware when there is no support is a risk. Based on my experience with the 64, I doubt it will work unless it is a true stand alone firmware update. But you are welcome to PM me, and I will post it on my google drive for you to try.

Another issue with Metz flashes. They need to be used every couple of months, or they run the risk of forgetting that they are flashes. The capacitor needs to be used, or it will no longer be useful. I'm glad this ws posted, as I haven't done it for about 6 months. I'll cycle and discharge it a few times so I can keep it going.

Last edited by rgknief60; 04-24-2023 at 09:41 PM.