Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

pentax 360 flash

why does Pentax make such a big deal about their P-TTL mode, where as, all it does is spoil all your portrait shots by making everyone eyes close for the photo?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Do you think Pentax has an idea in what their are doing, when they made this flash???? or was one of their engineers was trying to sabotage their name

Dave

01-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
why does Pentax make such a big deal about their P-TTL mode, where as, all it does is spoil all your portrait shots by making everyone eyes close for the photo?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Do you think Pentax has an idea in what their are doing, when they made this flash???? or was one of their engineers was trying to sabotage their name
All of the dSLRs from the other brands have moved to a pre-flash evaluation as well. So while the eye-blink thing can be frustrating (especially when you have a sensitive subject), I don't think this particular line of argument is constructive.
01-06-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote

Dave
Wikipedia: Punctuation
Wikipedia: Argument
01-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #4

Really? I typically just bounce the flash anyway, and the infrared-range finder-y thing is brilliant...

01-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
All of the dSLRs from the other brands have moved to a pre-flash evaluation as well. So while the eye-blink thing can be frustrating (especially when you have a sensitive subject), I don't think this particular line of argument is constructive.
what makes this topic a constructive argument is that
A - i am not interested in what other brands do, i am Pentax
B - i am sure Pentax knows by now that this pre-flash idea does not work on portrait shots too well , and correct me if i am wrong, but flash is generally used in photos that include people. at least for me , i only use flash when people are involved. and here i was taking family photos of this christmas season with my new K20D that i boasted about, i had to show off my pics with sleepy and closed eyes.
so now i have to
A - remember to resort to shooting in A mode. which takes forever
B - Buy a very fast lens and jack up the asa , which i would end up with little depth of field
Imagine i have a Canon S5IS point and shoot which should be considered a toy to my Pentax outfit that never and i mean never had this problem
would it not have been simpler for Pentax to release a firmware to diable pre-flash or set the main flash timing different after pre-flash

Dave
01-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The flash has 3 options that you can use.

P-TTL
Auto
Manual

Each has its pluses and minuses that is why they give you an option. With P-TTL you need to have a preflash. With the coatings that need to be put on the sensors TTL is not an option. If someone has a way to make TTL work in a digital sensor that doesn’t cost and arm and a leg Pentax is probably interested in hearing about it.

For taking portraits auto or manual is probably a better option anyway as it is more consistent in the output. P-TTL is more for on the fly.

If you need to use P-TTL you can try using the red eye to see if that can help reduce the blinking. The red eye flashes may make them have the blinking over with before the flash for the photo.

DAZ
01-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can anyone point me in the direction of an external power supply battery pack for the 360 if they have indeed even produced one? Or am I destined to stock up on AA's?

01-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Can anyone point me in the direction of an external power supply battery pack for the 360 if they have indeed even produced one? Or am I destined to stock up on AA's?
There isn't one for the AF360FGZ, but there is one for the AF540FGZ.

(See:
Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: Optional Unit-Specific Accessories )
01-22-2009, 03:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

dafiryde, are these studio shots? Or random location portraits? If it's a studio shot, A or M mode is far more suitable.

If it's location based portraits tho, and you have a sensitive (blink prone) subject, try this trick:
- Pose your subject, let them know where they're supposed to look
- have your subject close their eyes and relax their face.
- Tell them to open and smile (or whatever facial expression they should have) on 3.
- Take the picture right after.

If it's a snapshot, let them know there will be 2 flashes, many can fight the blink.