Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2023, 05:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

remotely trigger a Metz m400

Hello All,

I use a Metz m400P on my K1-II, and would like to be able to use it TTL detached from the camera.

All remote triggers I saw are not compatible with Pentax, so I thought to use some other flash, or even another Metz, to trigger the remote.

Any suggestion?

Thanks for your time,

-GianLuca

10-26-2023, 07:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a Pentax AF-201FG which I use with my K-1 for simple flash jobs and it works pretty well as a low power utility flash. It's a Pentax flash and a bit spendy, but is compact in size and offers auto plus two power modes, and second curtain capabilities. It also has a 9 position head with a slide-out diffuser for wide angle lenses. It does very well on two AAA batteries. Just one possibility that might work for you depending on how far away you need to trigger.

PENTAX AF 201FG reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
10-26-2023, 07:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gian Quote
Any suggestion?
I think Godox radio triggers work with Pentax in P-TTL mode but whether the Metz will work with them I do not know. I think the more you add different brands, the more likely you are to find issues.

I use Cactus radio triggers together with Pentax and Cactus flash guns and they work well, but I dont use P-TTL much, preferring manual flash output, pre-measured with a flash meter.

How far do you want the Metz from the camera ? Would a dedicated cord be long enough ?
10-26-2023, 10:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Bob, Pschlute,

well yes, a cord would be ok, in fact I have one 5m long, 4P syncro cord (but has 5 pins?), but the other day wasn't working...
I mounted the flash on a Pentax handle that has two 5 pin sockets, and a switch AutoSyncSet <-> SlowSpeedSync.
The hot shoe has one large contact central, and two small ones.

10-27-2023, 12:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wonder if using two Metz m400, as master and slave, the TTL would work...
10-27-2023, 01:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gian Quote
I wonder if using two Metz m400, as master and slave, the TTL would work...
If the Metz was designed to function that way then that will work. I know nothing about that flash so cannot confirm.

Master and slave certainly works with the Pentax DSLRs. The Pentax AF 540/360 range work well in this regard. Triggering is done optically so you need "line of sight".

Another option is if the Metz has dumb-slave mode, where it will fire in manual output when it sees another flash fire. Not P-TTL of course.
10-31-2023, 02:31 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I think Godox radio triggers work with Pentax in P-TTL mode but whether the Metz will work with them I do not know. ...
Godox triggers will only get TTL/HSS with their own Godox speedlights, or for Canon/Nikon/Sony flashes with the X1R-C/N/S attached. There's no way to work a legacy Pentax flash into a Godox lighting scheme and still retain TTL/HSS/remote power control. The speedlight will become manual-only.

And on an M400, that's problematic, because the M400 doesn't have physical controls on it to set power, it relies on camera communication for that. Which it won't have if it isn't being used with P-TTL compatible radio triggers.

Probably simpler to get a Godox TT350-P to work with a Godox transmitter for off-camera and save the M400 for on-camera flash.