Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Radio-link flash for both K100 and K200

Hi All,

I have the 200 and my son has the 100. He does sports photography (bike jumping) and is after a flash which can be located a few yards away from him.

I have just spent a day or two reading up on what options there are...

He may not want to use the on-camera flash so this rules out a simple slave flash.

The distance rules out a cable connection, and also neither of our cameras have a cable connection - other than something which plugs onto the hotshoe.

So, we need a radio link.

The K200 has the transmitter built-in, compatible apparently with about half a dozen expensive flash units listed here Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: Feature Comparison but the 100 has no such option.

I have seen loads of radio-link products on Ebay, mostly around $20 from China. These seem to attach the transmitter on the hotshoe, and the receiver seems to come with a variety of cables etc. Are these any good? Some look a lot better than others.

There is also a huge # of slave flashguns e.g. the Bower SFDS 828 around the $100 mark (or even I might go to the Pentax AF360 which I think does both slave and K200-radio-link but my son will just break it) but I cannot find out if these have a socket for the radio receiver cables. The radio receivers often have a 1/4" jack plug which is a pretty big thing for a consumer-grade flashgun.

The Q is what radio link product (assuming any of these are any good) will work with one of the cheaper flashguns.

I would be grateful for any recommendations.

He uses his K100 mostly in manual mode, setting it up near each jump, and of course he can see if the pics are any good, right away.