Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #1

Pentax K20D and Metz 58 AF (HSS Mode)

Hi all,

Forgive me if this already been covered in detail (I did a search but didn't turn anything that matched by query). I am considering purchasing a Metz 58 AF and trying to work out weather it is possible to use the flash in wireless mode with the K20D and utilise the flashes HSS capabilities whilst setting the power level manualy.

It would seem to suggest in the Pentax K20D manual that using the Pentax AF-540 the above are possible but appears to be contradicted in the Pentax AF-540 manual (I guess this was writen before the advent of the K20D).

I am impressed by the Metz's pedigree and general spec hence leaning in that direction, however I would be most grateful for views of owners of both.

Thanks in advance to all for your views etc.

J.

01-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The built-in flash can't do HSS, so you can't do HSS wirelessly with that as the controller. (Even when it's not contributing to the exposure, unfortunately — there's just no way to set it.)

I believe that you can do HSS if you have another Metz 58 AF-1 as master or controller. Or a Pentax flash (or, for completeness, the Sigma Super).
01-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The built-in flash can't do HSS, so you can't do HSS wirelessly with that as the controller. (Even when it's not contributing to the exposure, unfortunately — there's just no way to set it.)

I believe that you can do HSS if you have another Metz 58 AF-1 as master or controller. Or a Pentax flash (or, for completeness, the Sigma Super).
Thanks for the quick response mattdm. I had gathered that the inbuilt flash didn't support HSS mode but as usual with manuals it seems to imply that the built in flash can be used to control one or more units in HSS mode as it states:

Quote from Pentax K20D Manual
QuoteQuote:
By using two external flashes or using the built-in flash with an external flash, you can shoot in P-TTL flash mode without connecting the flash units with a cord. High-speed sync mode is also avaiable for wireless shooting.
I accept that the manual is often very ambiguous (probably why I have often not bothered reading them fully ) and having read your separate compatibility flash guide I appreciate that you practical experience with the range of kit available will be much better than mine and better informed than I hence my post.

Any thoughts re the other aspects of my query.

Thanks
01-19-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
AFAIK the Metz can everything the Pentax can, including HSS and wireless. It can even more, it takes the values from the camera in Auto mode, the Pentax doesn't.
Also the Metz has a second reflector.

01-22-2009, 03:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jasper Quote
Thanks for the quick response mattdm. I had gathered that the inbuilt flash didn't support HSS mode but as usual with manuals it seems to imply that the built in flash can be used to control one or more units in HSS mode as it states:

Quote from Pentax K20D Manual

I accept that the manual is often very ambiguous (probably why I have often not bothered reading them fully ) and having read your separate compatibility flash guide I appreciate that you practical experience with the range of kit available will be much better than mine and better informed than I hence my post.

Any thoughts re the other aspects of my query.

Thanks
Very easy to answer. Does your camera have a Wireless HSS mode in the flash menu? My K10D does not (the K10D does not support Wireless HSS with the built in flash, only wireless sync flash).

I can only get Wireless HSS to work when I use both of my 540s with one connected to the hotshoe.
01-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #6

AF540 In A Mode

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
AFAIK the Metz can everything the Pentax can, including HSS and wireless. It can even more, it takes the values from the camera in Auto mode, the Pentax doesn't.
Also the Metz has a second reflector.
I read a lot about the AF540 before buying and accepted that in A mode, everything would be manual. Imagine my suprise when I started using it and reading the manual, only to find that in A mode, with the camera body in P or Tv, the flash controls the apeture on the body. This may not be as desireable as the functionality of the Metz, but it is a far cry from being manual.
It actually works quite well in practice. Set the flash to A mode, set the camera body to P or Tv (Tv lets you choose the shutter speed), set the flash A mode apeture and ISO and half press the shutter release. The camera and flash communicate and set the aperture on the body to match the settings on the flash. Even if you ISO settings don't match, the system compensates by adjusting the aperture.
This is explained on page 29 of the manual, granted a little vague.
01-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So you guys would suggest the AF540 over the Metz 58 AF-1PS ????

01-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the views etc. I still can't decide whichway is the better way to go the Metz or the Pentax unit. I guess one of the biggest things in favourof the Metz is the extened ev range over the 540 so you in theory have greater control P-TTL.

Does anyone have a 540 and a Metz if so which is the one you always reach for?