Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

Digital Concepts 918AF dedicated flash

Hello everyone, new member here (I might have registered couple of years ago but forgot the login).

Question here - has anyone tried out the new Digital Concepts (Sakar) 918AF flash lately advertised on Ebay and at a lot of other places. They say it is fully Pentax DSLR dedicated (Auto focus, PTTL, auto power zoom, bounce, swivel, G=38 m or 124 ft). Looks like it is a full auto only, no manual settings and I wonder if I could adjust the power right on the camera with the flash +/- setting.
Here is one link for $90 US (free shipping in US). DEDICATED AUTO PTTL FLASH FOR PENTAX K10D K100D K20D - (eBay.ca item 110338920145 end time 15-Feb-09 14:48:50 EST)

Thanks for a feedback,

Luma

01-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
mattdm has compiled a very good resource on P-TTL flashes available on the market today. It includes info on the Sakar Flash as well:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/43215-pentax-p-...omparison.html
01-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, I have read this article recently and double checked again - this Digital Concepts 918AF is not listed there. It must be a fairly new product, I haven't seen it yet and cannot find any reference or review of it on the web.
01-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sorry I didn't see that you were not referencing the 952AF. From the looks of the pictures it seems to be a non-programable version of the 952AF. The 918AF is not even referenced anywhere on the Sakar site.

01-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Looks like it's this guy:

TUMAX

I'm now 95% sure that Tumax is the originator of all of these flashes, not Sakar as I'd originally thought. I'm going to update the guide with that information once I get a little more confirmation.

Anyone seen this one

TUMAX

available anywhere? The AF assist and mini-swivel head make this seem actually worth a second look, provided the price is below $50.
01-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

matt,

Do you know of any online retailers that sell Tumax flashes in the US? Or would the only place to find these flashes be ebay or an overseas retailer?
01-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
matt,

Do you know of any online retailers that sell Tumax flashes in the US? Or would the only place to find these flashes be ebay or an overseas retailer?
I'm looking into that as well. For now, the answer is no. (With the exception of the Xotopro QMM1 Macro twin flash mount, which is constructed from Tumax flashes.)

Another thing to be aware of is that Tumax as well as every generic label I've found selling these units is horrible about answering e-mail. If there's a problem, you can basically expect nothing.
01-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, it definitely looks similiar to Tumax (never heard this name before..). There are actually some differences, the 918AF is supposed to have a swivel, which neither Tumax DSL880 or DMF880 have and the 918AF has stated guide number 38 m vs 32 m on Tumax models.
I am wondering, is the Digital Concepts a manufacturer or just a distrubutor for one of those no name makers?

06-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I used the Digital Concepts 918AF for a brief time on the Pentax K-X.

I used it with the flash in TTL mode, pointed up, with a big diffuser.

Using a TTL flash tilted or diffused requires compensation, I just dialed in a stop of flash compensation on the camera body (permanently) and I would adjust exposure compensation by adding a stop or whatever as needed.

It worked excellent for me for a $60 flash with no frills.

I already own a lot of manual flashes so I did not miss the controls that were not present.

It would have been nice if flash compensation was present on the flash body, but otehr than this missing feature I think it is a great TTL flash for it's price.

I only used it for a week so I can't speak of it's longevity, but I can recommend it.

When you use eBay there is "buyer protection" so you know you can try it for at least a month without any worries.

I used this big $8 diffuser called "bounce reflector"

It works well and I like that it doesn't throw light all around the room behind me and beside me. For example the Gary Fong LightSphere throws light out 360 degrees, but that is not considerate to the people not being photographed, they are getting flashed for nothing. Also it's known that flash reflecting off of colored surfaces can cause weird color casts. This cheap diffuser is big, directional, and works pretty well.

OK that's my review, have fun!
Craig