Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Thinking about getting a Flash

I have been shooting with my Pentax K100D for about 2.5 to 3 years, my wife is pregnant with our first child, I think I am ready to get a flash so I don't miss any shots! Problem is I have really no idea what to get or how to use a flash effectively, this is my first DSLR / SLR camera. I have been peering around the forum and have found a few useful threads and websites.

Thanx to some of the information I have gathered from Mattdm I think I am going to go with the Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 Digital flash, but I am not sure so if you have any other suggestions fire away!

Does anyone have suggestions for a book or books or websites or any information they have come across to learn how to use the flash effectively?

01-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Well, It is about off camera flash, but Strobist covers everything - including the basics.
01-20-2009, 12:14 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
That's a good choice for a first flash...you absolutely want tilt and swivel for a flash that is going to be mounted on your camera. I have it's bigger brother, the 58 af-1, and am yet to be dissapointed.

I learned a lot from strobist and also this is a good book:

Amazon.com: The Digital Photography Book, Volume 2: Scott Kelby: Books

I think when it comes down to it, direct flash = bad. Indirect, softened/diffused/bounced flash = good.
01-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote
That's a good choice for a first flash...you absolutely want tilt and swivel for a flash that is going to be mounted on your camera. I have it's bigger brother, the 58 af-1, and am yet to be dissapointed.

I think when it comes down to it, direct flash = bad. Indirect, softened/diffused/bounced flash = good.
I am just getting through volume 1 of his series, and was unsure about getting volume 2, but since yu say he talks about using a flash I will pick that up. I also have a couple of his Photoshop books and I like his style

01-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #5

I Agree With Sharko

QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote

I agree 100% that you need tilt and swivel on any flash. I have done a lot of off camera flash but find with kids and other fast moving subjects, on camera, bounced off of walls and ceilings works best. You can essentially use the upper part of a wall as a large soft box and get really good soft light. The Metz 48 looks good... I got a Pentax 540 for less than $250 shipped from Prodigital2000 on eek-bay. Couldn't pass it up at that price.
01-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd recommend getting one with an autofocus assist beam. The annoying thing that the internal flash does to assist AF will make the baby cry.