Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

Another guy trying to decide on a flash.

Let me begin by apologizing for starting another "which flash for me" thread, but none of the others really answered my questions.

I have also read mattdm's thread on P-TTL flashes in its entirety. This article, while well written and helpful, still did not answer everything for me. I have also read every review and article that I could find on the subject. I feel that I have simply informed myself as to the features of flashes, and not to their usage. I finally have decided to break down and ask the guys who really know something about them.

What I need is a flash/flash system, that will allow me to shoot an outdoor wedding, indoor reception, and other varied photography situations. It needs to be powerful enough to fill shadows in full sunlight outdoors for the wedding. I'm not a regular wedding photographer, but I will be shooting this one for various reasons. Normally, I shoot outdoor photos. It is usually plants, animals, insects, etc, but as I practice and develop skills, I dabble in just about any photography.

I also want a flash that will utilize P-TTL with my K20D. The two flashes that really stand out right now are the Pentax 540 and the Metz 58. I know there have been tons of comparisons done, and I'm blue in the face from reading most of them. What they don't really tell is users satisfaction from them. Have people used both, and found some significant advantage to one or the other?

I was also wondering if there are any handle mounted flash options. I have seen the Metz 76, but is it a P-TTL compatible flash? Are there any Quantum flashes that use P-TTL? As you can see, I am open to just about any flash brand and configuration.

I am a little lost on the new flashes, as I have been shooting a P&S for a few years and have not kept up with the SLR world. The last SLR I had was an original Canon Rebel film body. Maybe you guys can set me straight on this subject. Thanks in advance for any advice you may offer.

Presto

01-22-2009, 03:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

User Satisfaction will be subjective, especially since both are well made flashes.

Download their user manuals and go over it. Select the one that seems to have an easier user interface. How fast you can make changes to your flash can be the difference between getting or missing the shot. Especially during an event like a wedding.
01-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Presto Quote
I was also wondering if there are any handle mounted flash options. I have seen the Metz 76, but is it a P-TTL compatible flash? Are there any Quantum flashes that use P-TTL? As you can see, I am open to just about any flash brand and configuration.
Yes, the Metz 45 CL-4 and 76 MZ-5 work in P-TTL when used with the SCA adapter. I have't covered them in my guide (largely because they're way out of my price range), but as I understand it in terms of supported features they'll be somewhat similar to the 54 MZ-4i (because of the adapter thing).

The only P-TTL flashes that I haven't covered in the guide are a few newer Tumax (generic Chinese make) flashes. If you find a Quantum flash or other brand that says P-TTL, it's almost certainly a variant of that.

As for comparing the AF540FGZ and Metz 58 AF-1.... I don't think you can really get a feel of the ergonomics without actually using them. Do you have a friendly local camera store that would let you try them out? (A rare beast these days, I know.)
01-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Do you have a friendly local camera store that would let you try them out? (A rare beast these days, I know.)
I don't have a real camera store within more than an hour's drive. I live in a small town in North Alabama. I have to order everything for all of my hobbies because a town this size can't really support a specialty shop for anything. That's the main reason I have to refer to threads such as this. I have no way of finding out about the touchy feely things besides this. I also have nobody around that shoots Pentax ( or any DSLR for that matter) to check out thier gear. I'm pretty much on my own, and at the mercy of online reviews and forums.

That being said, I haven't been steered wrong on this type of forum yet. If anybody else has an opinion they want to post, I would be grateful. Thanks!

Presto

01-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #5

My Take

QuoteOriginally posted by Presto Quote
If anybody else has an opinion they want to post, I would be grateful. Thanks!
Presto
I have not used the Metz but just got the AF540 from Prodigital2000. I have several other flashes, including 2 Vivitar 285HVs and a Pentax AF280. I also did a lot of reading and would have purchased the Metz except for the price.
One of the main reasons that I was considering the Metz was because of all of the information about automation in A mode. I was thinking that since there is so much dispariging information on P-TTL, I better get a flash that does A mode well. All of the info that I read says that the Metz reads the camera setup in A mode and sets that flash, really nice feature that I wanted, but the unit is really expensive.
I cheaped out and got the AF540 expecting to go full manual in A mode but found out that there is automation. If you set the camera body on P or Tv, the flash actually reads ISO and sets aperture on the camera body. I was pleasantly surprised by this feature.
The other thing that I found is that the P-TTL has worked flawlessly for me up to this point. No complaints about it whatsoever.
I paid $250US shipped for the AF540 and would have had to shell out $399US for the Metz. I am glad that I cheaped out on this one.