Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2009, 05:49 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
AF360FGZ or AF540FGZ???

Hey there I'm just deciding and need some advice on which flash I should purchase the AF360FGZ, AF540FGZ.I'm no professional(yet...lol) but I do want to start taking portrait shots and using the flash for fill but don't kno if its justified spending almost double the amount on the 540 or weather save the money(to go towards a lens) and just stick with the cheaper option(360).
Maybe someone who has used or is currently using both of these flashes and can advise.

Regards
Simon

01-30-2009, 06:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simon23 Quote
Hey there I'm just deciding and need some advice on which flash I should purchase the AF360FGZ, AF540FGZ.I'm no professional(yet...lol) but I do want to start taking portrait shots and using the flash for fill but don't kno if its justified spending almost double the amount on the 540 or weather save the money(to go towards a lens) and just stick with the cheaper option(360).
Maybe someone who has used or is currently using both of these flashes and can advise.
Are you planning to use the flash on-camera? In that case, the lack of swivel for the AF360FGZ may be a deal-breaker. And you may want to look at the Sigma EF-530 DG or Metz 48 AF-1.
01-30-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I couldn't justify the extra cost of the 540 over the 360 (particularly at the prices for them in OZ- I'm no pro either.

In the end I went with the 360 and I am very happy with it. The swivel head on the 540 would help with a bit more versatility if you are doing Wedding receptions etc, but I find the 360 adequate for bouncing off the ceiling in most situations.

My advice is if you are serious about portrait photography, buy the 360 flash and use the money saved, for a DA70mm lens and/or flash stand and umbrella for off camera flash.
01-30-2009, 06:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
Yes I will be using the flash on camera for outdoors and indoor shooting I will set it up on a tripod and sync'd etc!The lack of swivel is my main concern!

Which outer of the metz and sigma would u go for???

01-30-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i would take the 540 not only for swivel,m but for extra power.
01-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #6

Plus One for Lowell

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
i would take the 540 not only for swivel,m but for extra power.
I agree with Lowell, at some point, you will need the power of the AF540, and after using a flash with bounce and swivel, I would never consider a flash without both features. This is especially true for portrait shots. Bouncing off of the ceiling can give some pretty poor results, depending on the condition. What happens when you need to shoot in portrait orientation? You are then bouncing off of the wall on one side or the other. It just doesn't work well.
If you look around (hint ProDigital2000 on e-bay) the AF540 can be had for $250 or so. The Sigma and Metz flashes mentioned don't have A modes (auto thyristor), which can be lifesavers when P-TTL causes the "blinkies".
01-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
I agree with Lowell, at some point, you will need the power of the AF540, and after using a flash with bounce and swivel, I would never consider a flash without both features. This is especially true for portrait shots. Bouncing off of the ceiling can give some pretty poor results, depending on the condition. What happens when you need to shoot in portrait orientation? You are then bouncing off of the wall on one side or the other. It just doesn't work well.
If you look around (hint ProDigital2000 on e-bay) the AF540 can be had for $250 or so. The Sigma and Metz flashes mentioned don't have A modes (auto thyristor), which can be lifesavers when P-TTL causes the "blinkies".
you raised some other points about the flash I deliberately avoided, but the other features I like about the AF540 FGZ are the fact that it can work in all flash modes supported by Pentax, specifically, (depending on lens and body)
-auto mode when there is no TTL flash sensor i.e. old film cameras or when using a DSLR with manual apature lenses
- TTL flash on *istD and DS and manual apature lenses

other flashes may not be as adaptable.

01-31-2009, 12:21 AM   #8

Original Poster
Cool, thanks for the input guys...I will have to save a few more pennys....plus my birthday is coming up so I may have to drop a few hints...lol!