Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2009, 04:45 AM   #1

Best dual (multi?) flash for K10D?

Hi,

I've recently gotten heavily into night critter photography (mostly reptiles, amphibians, spiders) and have quickly come to the the point where I really would like to buy a nice twin or multi-flash kit that can be attached to the front of the lens, because the K10D's onboard flash is only good in very lucky circumstances.

I have absolutely no idea about lens-mounted flash kits, apart from the fact that all the members from my nature photo club use them - but none of them has a Pentax.

So, could you guys help me out with a few tips? It should be durable, as I expose the camera to a lot of dirt, heat and and tropical humidity.

Thanks very much in advance!!

Hans

02-02-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, there's three recent options for P-TTL ring flashes:

PENTAX AF160FG Auto Macro Ring Flash - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
Product information: Metz
Sigma - Flashes

Plus this:

Xotopro QMM1 Macro twin flash mount

which is assembled out of cheap chinese-make flashes.
02-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is also the Macrolume Digital by Promaster that is linked from Matt's site. I have the previous non digital ttl version of it and it is a nice lens for ttl systems or automatic use.

I personally have the Sigma EM-140 p-ttl ring flash.
02-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have nothing against taking pictures of night critters, but I think you should make sure your flash won't damage the eyes of said critters. I don't really like causing unnecessary pain to living things.

02-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for all the answers and concerns about critter eye health (which I'm also trying to maintain)!

I've heard that ring flashes are not an option, as they cause ring-shaped lights in the animals' eyes. Is that a fact? If not, I'll definitely look into that. If yes, I'm more thinking along the lines of two (or more) single flashes mounted onto the end of the lens.

What are your experiences?

Thanks!

Hans
02-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ring flash do indeed produce ring like catch light.
02-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Ring flash do indeed produce ring like catch light.
It is possible to turn one side or the other off on many ring flashes to mitigate some of this.