Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Best Non-PTTL flash for K10D

I'm a flash newbie and need some advice.

All my lenses are the old -A type, so I understand I can't get any benefit from a PTTL flash. I would, however, still like to have rear-curtain and HSS available to me.

What do you recommend?

02-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rear-curtain & HSS are features introduced with the P-TTL flashes so none of the older flashes offer this to my knowledge. That being said, I believe that Pentax-A works fine (other than probably auto flash head zoom) with P-TTL, while pre-A (K/M/M42) are restricted. So if you want HSS/rear-curtain, you should go for a good P-TTL flash. By all means confirm this but the K10D manual says they should work.

The AF-360FGZ and AF-540FGZ are also good in their versalitility by offering A and M modes as well which would work better if you have pre-A lenses.
02-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In addition to what AndrewG said, a ttl flash won't do you any good either because the K10d doesn't support ttl. That would limit you to automatic flashes.
02-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Rear-curtain & HSS are features introduced with the P-TTL flashes so none of the older flashes offer this to my knowledge.
Actually, all of the AFxxxFT/G flashes can do trailing curtain sync with auto-focus bodies. HSS is limited to the newer FG units.

02-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by les9596 Quote
I'm a flash newbie and need some advice.

All my lenses are the old -A type, so I understand I can't get any benefit from a PTTL flash. I would, however, still like to have rear-curtain and HSS available to me.

What do you recommend?
Just to clarify

Your lenses are SMC-A or third party lenses with PKA mount, and electrical contacts?

If so, they are fully compatible with P-TTL flash.

It is only SMC-Pentax and SMC-M lenses, or third party PK mount lenses that are not compatible woth P-TTL flash.

Check your lenses and don't sell yourself short.
02-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just to clarify

Your lenses are SMC-A or third party lenses with PKA mount, and electrical contacts?

If so, they are fully compatible with P-TTL flash.

It is only SMC-Pentax and SMC-M lenses, or third party PK mount lenses that are not compatible woth P-TTL flash.

Check your lenses and don't sell yourself short.

There are some third party "A" lenses that will work with p-ttl as well but it just depends.
02-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My lenses are:
Vivitar 17-28 f/4
Pentax-A 24-50mm f/4
Pentax-A 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro
Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/2.8-4.0 (v3)
Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4
Pentax-A 50mm f/2.8 Macro

I'm very happy to be wrong here, but I thought these lenses couldn't do PTTL because they couldn't communicate focus information to the camera.

02-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My lenses are:
Vivitar 17-28 f/4
Pentax-A 24-50mm f/4
Pentax-A 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro
Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/2.8-4.0 (v3)
Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4
Pentax-A 50mm f/2.8 Macro

I'm very happy to be wrong here, but I thought these lenses couldn't do PTTL because they couldn't communicate focus information to the camera.
I can't comment on the vivitar zooms because I don;t know the mount, do they have electrical contacts? The series 1 shoud be new enought to have them, my version Version 1 does not, but that was 1981.

happily P-TTL flash only needs maximum and minimum apature to use p-TTL. the flash does not need focus distance info, only apature because it meters at full apature and calculates flash duration for the stopped down setting of the lens (make sure it is in A mode and set apature with the camera body)

try with the built in flash, exposures will be just fine.
02-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
They all do have electrical contacts and all can have their aperture controlled from the camera. And you're right, they all (even the Vivitars) must be telling the camera their min and max aperture because the viewfinder won't let me go beyond each specific len's limits (in either direction.)

So I can use PTTL? Yipee!
02-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They all do have electrical contacts and all can have their aperture controlled from the camera. And you're right, they all (even the Vivitars) must be telling the camera their min and max aperture because the viewfinder won't let me go beyond each specific len's limits (in either direction.)

So I can use PTTL? Yipee!
glad I could help

I would still recommend an AF540 FGZ flash eventually, it is about the most versitile thing you will ever find,
02-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Lowell,

You (and everyone) were a huge help! Thanks so much!

Larry
02-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would still recommend an AF540 FGZ flash eventually, it is about the most versitile thing you will ever find,
I think the Metz 58 AF-1 is probably a bit more versatile, even. It's got all the same modes, plus a few extra features like the secondary reflector (i.e. a seperate smaller forward-facing flash) and stroboscopic mode. It's got a wider range of EV compensation and a lot more levels of manual control (25 levels instead of 7), and Metz publishes useful timing data for each level. And if you put it in M or A mode, it will stay in that mode even after power off.

But it's much more expensive than the Pentax AF540FGZ in the US.