Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Where did you buy it? one of the ebay "stores"? if so, do you have a link? i searched ebay for the model you listed, and nothing came up...

02-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deuces Quote
Really wondering about HSS and wireless. If it could do wireless commander for PTTL, it'll be a hell of a cheap way to do off camera HSS.
Yeah, no such luck on either of those.
02-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #18
Kei

Great info, thanks to this thread and Mattdm's extensive review on all Pentax's pttl flash looks like this one fit the bill for me. I've been looking for an affordable flash unit which I just want the bounce, swivel and rear curtain sync.

I am now all set to grap one from fleabay.
08-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #19

problems with the flash

not sure if anyone is still reading this thread,
but i just bought this flash off of ebay. i read the review and was very excited to try it out.
i'm doing nightlife photography so i have to shoot in very low light, and i needed a flash with p-ttl capability.

so far, it's doing nothing p-ttl! it doesn't recognize anything in even moderate lowlight.

unless i'm misunderstanding what this flash does-i need it to preflash so the camera has something to autofocus on, and then it will take the picture.

i've tried it in av, tv, manual, program mode. nothing is making it do this. what am i doing wrong??

08-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Some flashes need to be pushed in all the way forward to the hot shoe as the contacts sometime miss the connections.
It happened to res3567 with his Vivitar DF-383 Review.
He thought that it actually didn't have P-TTL but it was just the mis-aligned hot shoe contacts.
Here is his review : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/65812-pentax-df-383-review.html
Give it a read yinzerparty as you might have the same case.
08-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I just searched this flash on ebay and it would seem as there is an "on" button for the flash but I don't see any "on" button for the curtain sync...hmmm.
Maybe you have a different flash but it says 918AF speedlite on the back of the flash photo.
Do you set the curtain sync on the camera or the flash itself?
08-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Where did you buy it? one of the ebay "stores"? if so, do you have a link? i searched ebay for the model you listed, and nothing came up...
This might be it?? DEDICATED AUTO PTTL FLASH FOR PENTAX K10D K100D K20D - eBay (item 360170368653 end time Aug-12-09 13:12:10 PDT)

I just don't see a 3 position switch or just not actually greatly illustrated on the photo.

08-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #23

no you found the right one. it actually arrived looking a bit differently. there's an off button-a front curtain sync-and a back curtain sync. i have tried different camera settings-but i believe this flash is what needs to be set.
i'll try pushing in the flash in fully to see if that's the problem.

i'm wondering if maybe the af illuminator is defective? im exchanging it this weekend...
08-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yinzerparty Quote
no you found the right one. it actually arrived looking a bit differently. there's an off button-a front curtain sync-and a back curtain sync. i have tried different camera settings-but i believe this flash is what needs to be set.
i'll try pushing in the flash in fully to see if that's the problem.

i'm wondering if maybe the af illuminator is defective? im exchanging it this weekend...
If in-doubt...always return!
Thanks, i will also be looking at this flash with great interest as I have the 285HV but would also like to have a dedicated flash apart from the great 285HV.
08-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yinzerparty Quote
so far, it's doing nothing p-ttl!
The easiest test for P-TTL is to enable the 2 second timer mode for the shutter and set the shooting mode to x-sync. In these modes, a P-TTL flash will fire the pre-flash when the mirror is raised. It will then fire the main flash when the shutter opens. If you don't see the pre-flash, then you'll know for certain, the flash doesn't support P-TTL.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-15-2010 at 05:58 AM.
08-22-2009, 05:31 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
The easiest test for P-TTL is to enable the 2 second timer mode for the shutter and set the shooting mode to x-symc. In these modes, a P-TTL flash will fire the pre-flash when the mirror is raised. It will then fire the main flash when the shutter opens. If you don't see the pre-flash, then you'll know for certain, the flash doesn't support P-TTL.

Thank you
Russell
Thanks for all the info. If the Digital Cpncepts 918AF is P-TTl for my Pentax K200d I'll be very happy.
Thanks Rick
08-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Luma for sharing your test experience with DC 918AF Flash. I looked up Adorama, Amazon, Buy com and a couple of others - all quote $ 79.95 with free shipping - but here is the catch, they all specify it is a TTL Flash. Your test says it is PTTL. Please recheck as I wish to buy one.
Here is another el cheapo: The Quantaray QB-6550U Flash with the Promaster 5050DXR Module is the smallest P-TTL bounce flash in the market. Guide Number at ISO 100 is 80. I bought the flash only + the Quantaray Pentax AF Module QDA-PAF from Wolf in San Jose for $ 13 & 5 respectively (otherwise $ 49 & 22). The QDA-PF module is TTL only. I later bought the Promaster 5050DXR module for $ 40 off eBay.
A better PTTL Flash with the Promaster Module is the Quantaray QTB-9550U for $ 85.
This is a twin head tilt and swivel flash.
Both flash have the built in autofocus light and work extremely well.
Have attached a test photo with the QB-6550U - heavily resized.

Last edited by nanhi; 06-29-2011 at 08:10 AM.
08-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Here is another el cheapo: The Quantaray QB-6550U Flash with the Promaster 5050DXR Module is the smallest P-TTL bounce flash in the market. Guide Number at ISO 100 is 80.
Is the Quantaray QB-6550U the same as this Promaster model (the 5250DX)?

Promaster 5250DX Specs
08-15-2010, 06:02 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Is the Quantaray QB-6550U the same as this Promaster model (the 5250DX)?

Promaster 5250DX Specs
Yes, but at a much cheaper price usually. It isn't the smallest P-TTL flash any longer. The Rokinon D20AF now is.

Specifications:
  • Guide number: 24 meters or 75 feet at 35-mm position
  • iTTL auto focus
  • Zoom position: 35 mm
  • Bounce position: 0 degrees/ 45 degrees/ 60 degrees/ 75 degrees/ 90 degrees
  • Recycle time: 0.3 to 10 seconds
  • Power source: 2x AA batteries (not included)
  • Dimensions: 2.5 inches x 2.1 inches x 3.9 inches
  • Weight {w/0 batteries}: approximately 4.5 ounces
  • Power saving function
  • Red eye reduction
  • Dimensions: 2.5 in. x 2.1 in. x 3.9 in.

Thank you
Russell
08-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Yes, but at a much cheaper price usually. It isn't the smallest P-TTL flash any longer. The Rokinon D20AF now is.
Oh hey. Looks like the Tumax DSL286AF, although that says GN of 22m, not 24.

I should get that into my guide.