Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Is my brand new SigmaEF-530 DG Super DOA?

I ordered it new from TriState last week, came in yesterday. For reference, this is my first flash and I'm extremely new to the DSLR scene with my new K100D. First off I put some Enloops in it and turned it on, off the camera. I heard the barely audible whine of it charging, then after about 2 seconds the display starts blinking ER and the only other info on the display is TTL and P:

It will continue blinking ER even if I turn off the power. Only removing the batteries will shut it off. I've tried powering it up on and off the camera, with the camera on and off, and tried it with a fresh set of alkalines (Duracell) to no avail. I'm thinking it's DOA, the instruction manual is pretty sparse in the troubleshooting department.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

02-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That error message is right in the area that my 530 shows the lens' focal length. Have you mounted the flash on a camera with a lens? Preferably a modern lens that has all the reporting connections for aperture, FL etc.
02-04-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
That error message is right in the area that my 530 shows the lens' focal length.
Which makes me guess that it means that the zoom head is stuck.
02-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
That error message is right in the area that my 530 shows the lens' focal length. Have you mounted the flash on a camera with a lens? Preferably a modern lens that has all the reporting connections for aperture, FL etc.
Yes, I tried it on my K100D with both the kit 18-55 and a Tamron 28-200 AF. Since this flash is designed to work off camera in slave mode I would think that at least something would change when powering it up off camera vs on camera. No combination of button presses or holds affects anything at all. When the display comes on after powering it up it only shows above with a blinking "ER".

Looks like I'll have to call Tristate this morning. Between freight and time this flash is going to cost me much more than I bargained for.

02-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PFFJazzMan Quote
Yes, I tried it on my K100D with both the kit 18-55 and a Tamron 28-200 AF. Since this flash is designed to work off camera in slave mode I would think that at least something would change when powering it up off camera vs on camera. No combination of button presses or holds affects anything at all. When the display comes on after powering it up it only shows above with a blinking "ER".
Then it's defective, send it back for repair or replacement.
02-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I got the error above when mine overheated. When it overheats the zoom expands and gets jammed, so i'd say it is the same problem. Try hitting it against a table or something but i guess thats just my way of fixing things. Im sending back my 530 super in the next couple of weeks too so would you mind telling me how easy the return process is?
Are you going to send it straight to sigma or to the shop where you got it?

Thanks, and good luck.
02-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
I got the error above when mine overheated. When it overheats the zoom expands and gets jammed, so i'd say it is the same problem. Try hitting it against a table or something but i guess thats just my way of fixing things. Im sending back my 530 super in the next couple of weeks too so would you mind telling me how easy the return process is?
Are you going to send it straight to sigma or to the shop where you got it?

Thanks, and good luck.
I called Sigma and after describing the failure scenario to them they told me to send it back to TriState, which is what I'm doing. No flash this weekend. TriState sent a call-tag for UPS to pick it up and I presume will ship out the replacement when they have the other one back. While I was on hold at TriState I popped a fresh set of Lithium Energizers into it with no change of behavior.

I would guess that in your case the process would be to call Sigma at 800 874 4621 and get an authorization to return, then box it up and ship it to them. I've got no direct experience with Sigma, but was impressed by the fact that when I called that number a real, live human answered the phone.

I'll report back whatever happens.

02-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PFFJazzMan Quote
I called Sigma and after describing the failure scenario to them they told me to send it back to TriState, which is what I'm doing. No flash this weekend. TriState sent a call-tag for UPS to pick it up and I presume will ship out the replacement when they have the other one back. While I was on hold at TriState I popped a fresh set of Lithium Energizers into it with no change of behavior.
Thanks, but it is a different arrangement here in the UK it seems. I emailed them and they said send it in with a letter explaining and they will repair it or replace it. No code or authorization... I will check with bristol cameras if they can send me a courier to make postage easier but yeah, its a little trickier.
02-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, it's back to TriState. They issued me a call-tag and it got picked up. I'm out of town next week so won't get the replacement until week after next, bummer.

I will say that TriState seemed very interested in resolving this, hopefully the next unit works properly. I wonder if I should have asked them to test the new one before sending out? Would that seem rude? I'm so new to this.
02-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Just got the replacement in from TriState, works great! I highly recommend their quality of service, and they had the best price ($216 shipped) of anyone I found.

Now to just figure out how to use it. Biggest problem I am having is images coming out too dark when using the built-in flash. Using ambient light the pictures look great, but when I use the built-in for fill lighting the image comes out almost black. I just took a few pics with the Sigma and at distances over about 15' they're fairly dark. I'm assuming that 99.9% of this is my fundamental lack of knowledge rather than technical issues with the gear. Right now I can get 10x better quality with a P&S when using a flash than I can with my K100D.

Last edited by PFFJazzMan; 02-17-2009 at 01:22 PM.
02-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hey man, try messing arouund with the manual mode instead of p-ttl, it will give you much greater control of the exposure. I use my camera on manual mode and my flash on manual mode too most of the time. TTL is way unpredictable.
The black exposures might be miss-triggers. My flash is working better lately for some reason, im really confused but its starting to look like i dont need to send this back