Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 500DG Super Flash

Does anyone here use this flash? or the regular 500DG? i want to get an external flash, with swivel and tilt, but don't want to pay $300.00 + for it. Any Sigma users care to share their thoughts on them?

03-28-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The non-Super version, about $170, only has 2 power levels where the Super has something like 7-9 levels. Other than that, I thin k they're the same. Don't own but I'm looking at them.
03-28-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Actually the non Super version only works in P-TTL mode and I don't believe it will work in the M modes at all, at least with the K10 and istDL. I have that flash and both camera bodies. I like the results with the istDL, works just like it is supposed to, in P-TTL mode. The K10 is not as repeatable and the flash seeps to spend a lot of time wondering what it is supposed to do! For this reason, if I have flash pics to shoot, I use the DL.

Walt
03-28-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I use the DG Super. What would you like to know?

03-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by newtmaker Quote
Actually the non Super version only works in P-TTL mode and I don't believe it will work in the M modes at all, at least with the K10 and istDL. I have that flash and both camera bodies. I like the results with the istDL, works just like it is supposed to, in P-TTL mode. The K10 is not as repeatable and the flash seeps to spend a lot of time wondering what it is supposed to do! For this reason, if I have flash pics to shoot, I use the DL.

Walt
walt, sounds like you need to send the flash to sigma and get it rechipped.
i use one on my DS and really like it. nice flash. it's the super.
03-28-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
I use the DG Super. What would you like to know?
Is it worth the money? or would you go for the Pentax AF-540? Does it seem to do what it is supposed to do?

I probably won't be doing TOO much flash photography, but I would like to have a decent flash for the times that I need one.
03-28-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Is it worth the money? or would you go for the Pentax AF-540? Does it seem to do what it is supposed to do?

I probably won't be doing TOO much flash photography, but I would like to have a decent flash for the times that I need one.
The flash works well. It is more powerful than the Pentax AF360 for about the same money, less powerful than the AF540.

The one thing that may or may not be an issue with you is you can't do wireless using the built in flash as a trigger as you can with the Pentax flashes. Make sure the flash has the current firmware for the K series cameras. Serial numbers should be in 8xxxxxx series, I believe, otherwise you will have to have Sigma rechip it. Don't worry to much about this, there should not be many older units out there by now.

Hope this helps.
03-28-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Alan, I'm not worried about wireless capabilities, just looking for a full featured flash that will take advantage of all the features on my camera.

04-11-2007, 02:35 AM   #9
db2

off camera is good

I just bought the 360 fgz, fabulous, the off camera is really worth having and after trying would not like to go back to attached flash at all. The quality of the Pentax gear wins it for me! Good luck.
04-11-2007, 04:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have the super 500 and after less then 2 months I had to send it back to sigma for repairs. it did not give proper exposure when I zoomed in with my sigma 17-70 lens.
I got a phone call to pick it up this and I will let you know how it works. I was told that they put a new circuit in it and it was tested. hopefully they tested the wireless option as well.
If there wasn't such a huge difference in price, I would have gone with the pentax 540 flash
The super 500 ended up costing me 179 canadian dollars after rebate, so that was the major reason I got the super.

cheers

randy
04-11-2007, 04:43 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote

I have the DG Super as well. On my DS it works quite well except that it has a tendency to underexpose with manual lenses. It's not a big deal, since I know this and I bump the flash EV a bit. I find that I have to monitor all manual shots tho. Other than that minor quibble it is an excellent unit, I've had mine for 3 years now and I don't use it lots, but when it is used it "works as intended" except like I said for the underexposure for manual lenses. It's a bit complicated to set up for high speed synch, but once you've done it a few times it gets easier.

NaCl(worth the money IMHO)H2O
04-11-2007, 05:07 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
walt, sounds like you need to send the flash to sigma and get it rechipped.
i use one on my DS and really like it. nice flash. it's the super.
It has been rechipped. Before that it would work with the DL and not with the 10D.
Like I said, on the DL it is a great flash and very repeatable. Not so on the 10D.
I supect that the degree of sophistication of the 10D has given Sigma problems in attempting to reverse engineer their flashes to be fully compatable with the K10D.
I have not used the Super version but in all honesty I doubt I would pay the money for the extra features. If I am going to pay that much I will go with Pentax.

Walt
04-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
The super 500 ended up costing me 179 canadian dollars after rebate, so that was the major reason I got the super.

cheers

randy
Randy,
Where did you find the Super at this price? Everyone seems to be selling it for $299. For the amount of flash shooting I do, the 540 is a non-starter. For $299, it is a tough choice between the 360 and the Sigma, but for $120 less, the Sigma would be a no-brainer.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by silverbullet; 04-11-2007 at 10:07 PM. Reason: typo
04-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #14

Digital cameras, canon digital cameras, sigma digital cameras, digital camera accessories, hoya filters
04-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
Randy,
Where did you find the Super at this price? Everyone seems to be selling it for $299. For the amount of flash shooting I do, the 540 is a non-starter. For $299, it is a tough choice between the 360 and the Sigma, but for $120 less, the Sigma would be a no-brainer.

Thanks,
Chris
Hi

Before xmas there was a deal that if you bought a sigma lens and 500 super flash there was a $100 canadian discount.
regular cost was $279 at Henry's Camera Canada Photo - Video - Digital Camera's

randy