Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Best Bang for the buck.

Old fashioned flash powder without a doubt. Smoke too.

Mickey

02-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The Metz 58 AF-1 upgrades this with a built-in sensor to support "A" mode, plus a built-in infill flash.
What is "A" mode? I guess it has nothing got to do with the "A" setting on lenses, since the Metz 48 AF-1 should support that too, right?

I don't understand "built-in infill flash" either.

Would be great if you could elaborate.
02-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What is "A" mode? I guess it has nothing got to do with the "A" setting on lenses, since the Metz 48 AF-1 should support that too, right?

I'm not a flash expert but as I understand it the infill flash is actually a second bulb that can be independently set in power to illuminate the target. So, say you bounce the main flash off the ceiling to get a nice ambient light. You can still use the infill flash to bring out some detail in the subject, since it will flash head-on.

The "Auto mode" is indeed nothing to do with a lens, at least not directly. It is an intelligent metering mode that uses the flash's own light sensor to determine the correct brightness, coupled to the cameras settings. So it's an alternative to P-TTL. But since the flash works in all wireless P-TTL modes, someone smarter than me will have to chip in to explain the advantage(s) of using Auto mode instead.
02-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Right. This A stands for Auto rather than Aperture. It means the flash makes its own automatic decision about when the exposure is correct, without help from either you or the circuitry in the camera body. More: Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: Other Flash Modes

QuoteQuote:
The Metz 58 AF-1 (and Metz 54 MZ-4i, and a couple of Promaster models) actually has a smaller second flash bulb and reflector pointing forwards. You can bounce off of the ceiling with the main flash and still get some fill light from the secondary reflector.

See: Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: Secondary Reflector

02-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one of the Promasters that does the infill flash. It is great! Makes indoor candids quite easy. And while not reproducible, it only cost me $1.50 at my local thrift shop - so even cheaper than oranges. (of course, there are batteries, too.
02-10-2009, 11:41 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
Old fashioned flash powder without a doubt.
And better diffusion too, I reckon!
02-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #22

Original Poster
Okay... so let's see here... my candidates are:

Sigma EF-530 DG ST
Metz 48
>>> Is this the same as the Metz 48 AF-1? Because I've already used this flash and it seems to have problems with correct metering. I usually shoot in Av and the shutter speed rarely adjusts relative to the position of the flash, the focal length used, and other settings in the camera...
Sigma Super 500
Pentax AF280T

oh... and oranges... and flash powder lol.

Since I've used the Metz48 AF-1 as borrowed from a friend and used it, I'd say it is quite decent. Like I've said though, I just have problems with it since I can't figure out how to use it properly when shooting in Av. It seems to have metering problems.

Then again, I wasn't able to borrow it long enough to play with it to the hilt.

02-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm partial to the Sunpak 433D. Safe strobe voltage, bounce & swivel, lots of power, and settings from full power to 1/16th. Great manual flash...
02-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lastdodobird Quote
Sigma EF-530 DG ST
Metz 48
>>> Is this the same as the Metz 48 AF-1? Because I've already used this flash and it seems to have problems with correct metering. I usually shoot in Av and the shutter speed rarely adjusts relative to the position of the flash, the focal length used, and other settings in the camera...
Yes, Metz 48 AF-1. And it sounds like it's behaving exactly as expected.
The Sigma flash will do exactly the same thing, as will Pentax or Promaster flashes for that matter. The shutter speed is being determined by the camera body's program. The actual exposure is determined mostly by the power at which it decides to fire the flash.

This may be helpful: Flash Modes for Pentax Photo Gallery by Steve Jacob at pbase.com
02-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Scrape together about $30 and find yourself an AF280T.
I agree with Mike. Mine cost a bit more (£26) but it came with the telephoto and wide angle adapters. The AF280T has a sensor and has two modes so that the flash determines if it has provided enough light and in my experience, it does this quite well.

If you have manual focus lenses you cannot use PTTL, so a flash that knows what it is doing is very useful.

Richard