Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
P-TTL flash news: Metz 36 AF-4 in the US

So, Metz and Bogen tell me that the Metz 36 AF-4 for Pentax is now available in the US, and in fact technically has been since November — although Bogen, the importer, didn't know that until I got someone from Metz to tell them to double-check. (!)

This is a basic, low-priced P-TTL (only) flash with manual zoom and a tilt head (update: the Metz web site says this has a "swivel" head, but they clearly just mean what we normally call "tilt") and pretty good power. The main thing is that in Germany, it goes for under €75 — a very good price for what you get.

I still can't find it at any big online retailers, but after some back and forth with Bogen and Metz, Bogen offered to set me up with a dealer. They've set the list price at $139, so it's not as attractive as in Europe — I'm not sure how cheaply one could get it in reality.

Last edited by mattdm; 02-10-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: REVISED — *no* swivel
02-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, that could be pretty good news for me, Matt. This could be the one I settle on. (I wonder if we could convince the Adorama lady to stock them. ) Thanks!

*reading up again.* Hey, btw, do you know if this unit can enable the focus assist beam without actually flashing? That could pretty much sell me on one. I'd also like to see the controls, if there's a photo online you know about.

I got to look at a Pentax 200 and a 540 in a local store this weekend, and it helped sort of clarify my plan. I was happy to see that the 540 isn't as big as it looks online, and also that it balances OK with a short lens and no grip, which was a bit of a concern. (I think I would find a Vivitar 285 top-heavy like that. ) Still quite full-sized, though. The 200... blazer-pocketable but kind of square.

Anyway, first I think something fairly compact and bounce-cardable at shortish ranges, with the beam would fill my bill for starters, at least till I have any call for big and sophisticated. Good news.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-10-2009 at 11:27 AM.
02-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow Matt,
your flash review for Pentax is growing isn't it?
Good job. You're so dedicated with it.

Thanks for the hard work. I really benefit from it.