Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AF540FGZ question

Is there a way I can a) use the flash wirelessly AND b) set my own aperture/shutter speed?

Or will the shutter speed always be dictated by the use of the flash?

The reason I ask is, I'm going to be shooting my buddy's band at a bar next Monday, and I'd like to take some shots with some dramatic lighting. I don't have a continuous light source, so I want to use the flash...but I also want to be able to control both aperture and shutter speed.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

02-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You can read your manual for basic setup.

Or if you want more detail, check this out:
Flash Modes for Pentax Photo Gallery by Steve Jacob at pbase.com
a very nice guide done by other pentax forum member, Steve.
02-12-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
Is there a way I can a) use the flash wirelessly AND b) set my own aperture/shutter speed?

Or will the shutter speed always be dictated by the use of the flash?
I don't understand your question.
In which mode does the flash dictate the speed?
02-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i knew there was a chance i wasn't making any sense...

i'll take a look at the manual again. Flash photography makes me want to pull my hair out.

02-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Max shutter speed for K10D with flash i think is 1/180 sec, so it can't go over that.. I don't know why you can't set your aparture and shutter speed...
02-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Max shutter speed for K10D with flash i think is 1/180 sec, so it can't go over that...
Maybe that's what I'm thinking of...I'd like to set it higher to black out the rest of the scene. I'll just have to play around with it I guess.
02-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
Inactive Account

From the Manual

You may know all this but just in case:
Looking at the manual http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/Web_AF540FGZ_Eng.pdf
Page 48 to 54 cover wirless mode. If you want to shoot in manual mode be sure to follow the directions to set the flash to Slave Mode SL2 page 52.

Slide the Settings Switch up, press the LCD Panel light button for 2 seconds, SL1 will show in the display. Press the Select Button (S) to select SL2 Press the LCD Button to finish the setting. Set the camera and flash to the same channel and you are ready to shoot in manual mode. Besure to press the M/C/S Button to set the flash in slave rather than master. page 46.

I find the directions for the various flash modes are not very easy to figure out. It would be nice if Pentax would publish a set of manuals for the various camera/flash combinations, but there really isn't a simple way to make that happen. The best advise is to make the manuals bedtime reading for a few days and then toleave it on the nightstand for review. If you practice anything for 21 days it is likely to become a habit. I have been using my camera for about 5 months now and I still have to open the manual every time I want to try a new setup.

Hope this helps

Last edited by ray94553; 02-12-2009 at 10:45 PM.
02-13-2009, 07:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Don't think there is a way to have faster with flash, since it is the flash sync speed.. well you can always use a smaller aperture.

ray94553: I know, I was wondering why I couldn't use the flash in manual mode while I am using Av, Tv or other mode with my K10D before, the manual don't seem to talked about it, In fact the camera has to be in M mode in order to use the flash in manual mode...

Maybe that's what I'm thinking of...I'd like to set it higher to black out the rest of the scene. I'll just have to play around with it I guess.
02-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #9

Don't think there is a way to have faster with flash, since it is the flash sync speed.. well you can always use a smaller aperture.
You can get faster shutter than 180 in PTTL, it's called High Speed Sync. But, you need one of:

- flash mounted on camera
- proprietary pentax flash cable for off camera flash
- a hotshoe flash mounted on camera, to act as a wireless commander to the off camera flash.

This is a good way to delete the ambient light.
02-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I tried mount flash on the camera and even using Flash Sync (X mode) the fastest shutter speed is still 1/180...

could you share step by step how to get faster than 1/180 in K10D? thanks
02-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #11

I tried mount flash on the camera and even using Flash Sync (X mode) the fastest shutter speed is still 1/180...

could you share step by step how to get faster than 1/180 in K10D? thanks
You have to have at least an "A" lens on the camera, and the camera's flash set to HS. If it's dark, you'll have to be in "M" mode, or with more light, (where the shutter speed would be over 1/180, you can shoot in any mode except X and B.
02-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wireless/HSS

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark2100 Quote
You have to have at least an "A" lens on the camera, and the camera's flash set to HS. If it's dark, you'll have to be in "M" mode, or with more light, (where the shutter speed would be over 1/180, you can shoot in any mode except X and B.
Right, except the OP was implying using the flash in wireless mode with High-Speed Sync. This has been discussed before. With the K10D/K20D, the ONLY way to use HSS with an off-camera flash unit (wirelessly), is to have a second, camera-mounted AF540 (or, AF360/Sigma 530/Metz 58, etc.).

If you're going to be in a bar it's going to be awful dark anyway. It's doubtful HSS would even be necessary to achieve what he wants. Usually HSS is more useful if you need fill flash in bright sunlight, or perhaps if you need to use flash during action photography.

There have been some recent threads on concert photography that had some pretty good advice, regarding equipment and methods, you might try a search for those. Good luck!
02-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ray94553 Quote
You may know all this but just in case:
Looking at the manual http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/Web_AF540FGZ_Eng.pdf
Page 48 to 54 cover wirless mode. If you want to shoot in manual mode be sure to follow the directions to set the flash to Slave Mode SL2 page 52.

Slide the Settings Switch up, press the LCD Panel light button for 2 seconds, SL1 will show in the display. Press the Select Button (S) to select SL2 Press the LCD Button to finish the setting. Set the camera and flash to the same channel and you are ready to shoot in manual mode. Besure to press the M/C/S Button to set the flash in slave rather than master. page 46.

I find the directions for the various flash modes are not very easy to figure out. It would be nice if Pentax would publish a set of manuals for the various camera/flash combinations, but there really isn't a simple way to make that happen. The best advise is to make the manuals bedtime reading for a few days and then toleave it on the nightstand for review. If you practice anything for 21 days it is likely to become a habit. I have been using my camera for about 5 months now and I still have to open the manual every time I want to try a new setup.

Hope this helps
i really wish i had remembered to come back to this thread before tonight. I shot my buddy's band with the flash on the camera most of the night. Took it off a few times to use wirelessly...and of course couldn't figure out why it wasn't working properly. thanks for the tips...i'll be sure to consult the manual every night for a month to beat this into my head
02-17-2009, 05:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ray94553 Quote
Or look at *isteve's handy guide: Flash Modes for Pentax Photo Gallery by Steve Jacob at pbase.com
02-18-2009, 02:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

i really wish i had remembered to come back to this thread before tonight. I shot my buddy's band with the flash on the camera most of the night. Took it off a few times to use wirelessly...and of course couldn't figure out why it wasn't working properly. thanks for the tips...i'll be sure to consult the manual every night for a month to beat this into my head
There's no need for that. The manual can be very confusing at times. You're better off reading the posts on here instead. I know I've talked about flash photography a lot already along with many others. Try the forum search tool to learn more about a specific feature.