Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Forum Member

How is Sigma Electronic Flash EF-530 DG ST

Hi..

I'm in the dilemma in choosing a flash for portrait and wedding shooting.
My budget is tight and only afford to get either a Sigma EF-530 DG ST or Sigma EF-530 Super. I really need your advice whether this Sigma is suitable for my K100D Super?! Please enlighten me about this EF530 DG/super.

And of course, if my budget is ok, i might be going for the Metz 48AF.
Please ..i need you advice here...Thanks

02-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
do you intend to use for wireless/strobing in future? Get the Super.

but if possible i recommend Pentax original 540 if you need high sync flash speed. Your budget is a bit tight to consider the 540 but considering your line of work, better to get a flash that has everything in one neat package.
02-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
Banned

I'm using an older Sigma EF-500 DG ST and it works great. The newer 530 super should be even better. The only thing that I don't like about it is it doesn't have a 45 degree angle, it goes right to 60.
02-13-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd choose the Sigma over the Pentax for one good reason. The Pentax units have a locking pin to keep the flash from coming off the camera, and said pin has a tendency to break and lock the flash to the camera permanently. Other than that, ther is not much difference between a Sigma EF530DG Super and the Pentax AF540FGZ.

02-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lostkj233 Quote
I'm using an older Sigma EF-500 DG ST and it works great. The newer 530 super should be even better. The only thing that I don't like about it is it doesn't have a 45 degree angle, it goes right to 60.
just have to mark it to go 45 degree. though it wont lock in place but as long as there are markings to indicate 45 degree..works out around the same.

ah yes for the 530, if using lenses other then Pentax and Sigma...do check if it works with other lenses like Tamron before buying.
02-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
do you intend to use for wireless/strobing in future? Get the Super.

but if possible i recommend Pentax original 540 if you need high sync flash speed. Your budget is a bit tight to consider the 540 but considering your line of work, better to get a flash that has everything in one neat package.
Thanks Reportage for your advice... i'm quite new to this hobby.May i know what is high sync flash speed?

Thanks lostkj233,
I heard from a friend that this kind of third party flashes will burn your camera.Is it true??

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
I'd choose the Sigma over the Pentax for one good reason. The Pentax units have a locking pin to keep the flash from coming off the camera, and said pin has a tendency to break and lock the flash to the camera permanently. Other than that, ther is not much difference between a Sigma EF530DG Super and the Pentax AF540FGZ.
Thanks flyer,
But how if compare the EF530 DG and the super version? Any other differences between them?

just have to mark it to go 45 degree. though it wont lock in place but as long as there are markings to indicate 45 degree..works out around the same.

ah yes for the 530, if using lenses other then Pentax and Sigma...do check if it works with other lenses like Tamron before buying.

Then is it not compliant with Tamron lenses?And is it reliable and good in quality??Thanks..
02-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ascii Quote
And of course, if my budget is ok, i might be going for the Metz 48AF.
You may already be aware of this, but I thought it worth mentioning. Metz is offering a mail in rebate on it's current flash units for the next couple of months. It might be worth considering.

Edit: I just noticed your location, so this may not apply. It's worth checking, though.

Last edited by Presto; 02-13-2009 at 09:49 AM.
02-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Presto Quote
You may already be aware of this, but I thought it worth mentioning. Metz is offering a mail in rebate on it's current flash units for the next couple of months. It might be worth considering.
The price that i can get thru adorama or amazon are much more cheaper if compared to the price at Malaysia. Unfortunately it seems they didnt ship the product to my country and i might be push to get a Sigma
But still searching online for more good bargain here...
02-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The DG530 ST doesn't operate in wireless mode and doesn't have as many power ratio as the Super. Beside that, they are about the same.
02-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

above is mine.

1. http://syndicate.tentoe.com/Syndicate/SynMaster?ttpid=TTPID-8A-60&vsr_sku=399856 high speed sync.

2. some flash the power not meant to be used for digital cameras.

3. quite a number of difference including wireless function.

4. test the flash actually works with the 3rd party lens you own.

when used properly...nearly as powerful as SB900 imo just not as flexible when it comes to manual controls.
02-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It is compatible with Tamron lenses. It will not burn up you camera.

The super has wireless, can manually control the power zoom on the flash, high speed sync, trailing curtain, more manual flash power modes.

I did not need the extra features, so I went with the ST. The power is the same between the two flashes.
02-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #12
Forum Member

For the EF-500 DG ST, is it a pa-pttl model? Will it work with the newer Pentax
DSLRs (K100D and up)? Did you have to send it in to Sigma for firmware flash?

Thanks in advance.

Pinwu
02-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

From what I have read the EF-500 needs a firmware update for the K10D, K20D, K200D, K2000.

It is a p-ttl flash.
02-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
The DG530 ST doesn't operate in wireless mode and doesn't have as many power ratio as the Super. Beside that, they are about the same.
That's means the ST also embedded with functions like manually control the power zoom on the flash, high speed sync, trailing curtain, more manual flash power modes which stated by rockmaster?Thanks..

above is mine.

1. http://syndicate.tentoe.com/Syndicate/SynMaster?ttpid=TTPID-8A-60&vsr_sku=399856 high speed sync.

2. some flash the power not meant to be used for digital cameras.

3. quite a number of difference including wireless function.

4. test the flash actually works with the 3rd party lens you own.

when used properly...nearly as powerful as SB900 imo just not as flexible when it comes to manual controls.
Thanks for the picture... from what you said it is something like a Nikon SB600?

QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
It is compatible with Tamron lenses. It will not burn up you camera.

The super has wireless, can manually control the power zoom on the flash, high speed sync, trailing curtain, more manual flash power modes.

I did not need the extra features, so I went with the ST. The power is the same between the two flashes.
Thanks rockmaster, this is very informative.
02-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Hmmm, I wouldn't say that. The features list is quite different, and the user interface is not at all similar.