Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How exactly do you use flash?

I'm a total newb when it comes to using a flash. I have a manual Sunpak (can tilt and rotate) and I know enought to guess and check my way around settings. Like the distances, aperture, ISO and shutter speeds. Usually I can get a decently exposed photo after like 2-5 shots.

But I was just wondering, how are the auto flashes? I tried my friends Olympus FL-36 and it seems to calculate everything for me. Like all I do is stick it on and shoot and it gives me decent photos without me even to have to fiddle around! My friend uses an E-1 with a ZD 14-54. Will the new auto flashes from Pentax or w/e brand do the same? I noticed that all the new flashes (the auto ones?) have red clear capsules, these contain the light sensors and stuff right?

Sorry I don't understand much about flash. I really just need it for better lightning so an auto one with be nice. I also read that my GX-1L (by virtue of being an *ist DL2 clone) doesn't have TTL.

Thanks yea I know this is probably confusing to read too cuz I'm not even sure if I'm asking the right questions.

Last edited by FotoPete; 03-31-2007 at 03:24 PM.
04-01-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

FotoPete,

I too will be upgrading my flash sometime this year. I currently use my old Vivitar that I used with my ME Super. Right now I'm really working with the Vivitar to get a better understanding what features I really wish I had. I've been having a lot of fun playing with bounce flash per this link, ABetterBounceCard.com.

I've also enjoyed reading about flashes at JensR site jr-worldwi.de: Photography: Technic

Hope this helps a little

Tim
04-01-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yea I currently use a bounce card. Hey does that plastic cup thing actually work for longer ranges like portraits? Or good for only Macro?
04-01-2007, 03:08 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Sorry I don't understand much about flash. I really just need it for better lightning so an auto one with be nice. I also read that my GX-1L (by virtue of being an *ist DL2 clone) doesn't have TTL.
It does not have the old analog TTL, but it has the newer digital P-TTL system.

Basically, there are three ways of achieving proper flash exposure. The first is the manual way, where you calculate the distance/aperture; and this is most tedious and time consuming.

The second is the "Auto Flash" using the sensor in the flash. Based on the ISO, you can set the flash auto setting at a specific aperture value. And you then set the camera to the same aperture value (using Av or M mode), the flash unit would shut off the flash firing when the proper exposure is achieved. It is much easier than manual, but it is not TTL.

P-TTL is the most sophisticated one, and you need a dedicated P-TTL flash unit. Basically, the external flash would function EXACTLY like your built-in flash. I.e. you have the freedom to use any modes (P, Av, Tv, M, Picture), any aperture values (within the flash range), and the flash would calculate everything for you. It utilizes TTL multi-segment metering, and will automatically compensate for any filter use, bounce or different focal length lenses.

P-TTL also offers you some advanced flash feature not available otherwise, such as High Speed Sync (syncing up to your max shutter speed), multiple wireless TTL flash (need two or more flash units) and flash exposure compensation. And P-TTL flash such as Pentax ones (360 / 540 FGZ) give you options of using P-TTL, Auto or Manual flash.

For seamless integration and ease of use, I would recommend getting a P-TTL flash unit. But it would be more expensive than using manual or auto flash. Be careful when you are using an older flash unit. Some older models have very high trigger voltage and can cause serious harm to your camera.

04-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Tim and Kwal for your help.

ok I checked up on the Sunpak Auto zoom 333 online and it ran at 7.9V. Is that 'safe' for pentax?
04-11-2007, 02:18 AM   #6
db2

try this

Check out this great site, Strobist: Welcome to Strobist., You will probably be telling us how to do flash soon