Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Using Old Flashes on K200D

Hi,
I've bought a K200D recently.
I have some old flashes like Toshina QCC-10 and I want to know that whether I can use an old flash with my camera.
Anbody ever had such an experiment with an old flash on a Pentax DSLR camera?

02-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Forum Member

All I know is what I have read from this forum. Unless you know the voltage of the flash output to the camera then I wouldn’t use it. Older flashes put out a lot more voltage that’s why I don’t use my vivitar flash on my camera.
02-22-2009, 03:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can check here for strobe voltages: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

I've used quite a few old flashed on both the K100D and the K200D. As long as the voltage is safe, have at it! Keep in mind that you will have to shoot in manual mode.
02-22-2009, 04:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djayvo Quote
Older flashes put out a lot more voltage...
That's not a universal one-size-fits-all fact. Not all older flashes have unsafe trigger voltages. I routinely use flashes from the 1980s: National, Pentax, Vivitar.

QuoteQuote:
...that’s why I don’t use my vivitar flash on my camera.
If you haven't confirmed the trigger voltage, that is the safest route to take. But I have one old Vivitar which is perfectly safe and another old Vivitar which triggers at over 200 volts and should never be used on digital.

02-22-2009, 06:30 AM   #5
Nvs
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So, what is the safe voltage range for k200D?
02-22-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
Forum Member

Thanks Mike and Maxwell.
I am new to DSLR but checked out if my 285hv would work using this forum as my guide. The conclusion turned out I better check the voltage myself because depending on the year determined the voltage of this flash. I brought the caution up because I didn’t want Nvs just to snap on a flash and start flashing away with dire consequences. I knew someone else would step up to the plate more knowledgeable than I and set Nvs straight. It’s always safe to stay on the side of caution.
02-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nvs Quote
So, what is the safe voltage range for k200D?
That question has been posted a lot and debated a lot. I believe the current consensus is "under 30 volts".

No matter what some online source may say about the voltage of a flash model, it is always best to test each individual flash unit with a digital multimeter just to be sure. Fortunately, the meters are not expensive.