Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

ARG!!! Plastic flash shoe HELP

Ok so I have this really nice flash from eBay I got about 3 weeks ago. I may, or may not have broken, the corner of the shoe. The flash still functions but it's just a little wobbly when I turn the head of the flash on camera. Anyone know anything that could fix this problem???

Thanks

~T

02-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I can see some other cracks in the foot. Sooner or later, the flash will need a foot transplant.

What brand/model is it? You may want to post in the "wanted" forum. Someone may be able to help you out.
02-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Inactive Account

EPOXY! Get the 5-min epoxy. Mix it on a sheet of paper. Don’t apply it right off. Feel the back of the paper for when it gets warm. At that point it will be thickening and starting to setup. Apply and use rubbing alcohol to clean any drips where you don’t need the build up. I’d play with some to get a feel for how fast it is going to setup.
02-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
SOldBear - Those aren't cracks, just scrathes from putting it in hotshoe. Foot Trasplant, how would one go about such a thing/

boyscout - is 5-min epoxy a brand, or just the type of epoxy? Either way do you know a good brand. I assume somewhere like Home Depot would sell it.

Thanks for the quick replys

~T

02-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shiestmiester Quote
SOldBear - Those aren't cracks, just scrathes from putting it in hotshoe. Foot Trasplant, how would one go about such a thing/
Glad to hear they are not cracks. Foot transplant is actually pretty simple. Finding the replacement foot is the difficult part. But if you post the brand/model of the flash, someone may have a broken one that can donate the foot.

QuoteOriginally posted by shiestmiester Quote
boyscout - is 5-min epoxy a brand, or just the type of epoxy? Either way do you know a good brand. I assume somewhere like Home Depot would sell it.
Home Depot should have it. Epoxy is a type of glue that consists of two parts. You mix the parts in equal amounts just before using. "5-min" means the glue is set within 5 minutes. But beware that it is not completely cure. Wait a day before putting any stress on the foot.

Expoxy sticks to many things. You may want to "paint" vaseline on the areas that you don't want the glue to stick to. That helps the cleanup later.
02-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
SOldBear - thanks for the run down. I know what epoxy is, was just wondering if there was a gooe brand name to look for.

Otherwise the flash is a Promaster 7000m. I know some Promaster have replaceable module on bottom, but would probably be cheaper to buy i broken one and transplant foot.

THanks again for the help,

~T