Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
Inactive Account

HELP: Urgent: Best Flash for K10D & Costa Rica with Better Beamer?

Hi,

I'm going to Costa Rica (you may have seen my other threads in the lens forum) - and will either have the 50-135 DA or 55-300. (unless I rent the 300 F4 but getting nervous about the weight and chance of theft). I don't own a flash, only have the popup flash on my K10D. What external flash would you suggest, especially that would be compatible with the Better Beamer Flash Extender?

Thanks for your help. If I have a fast 2.8 lens, do I need an external flash, do you think?

Beth

02-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #2

Well I've never heard of a 'better beamer' but I can heartily recommend the Metz MecaBlitz 58 as an external flash. Tons of power, cycles very fast with high power batteries in there, tiltable and twistable head, can be used remotely with the built -in flash as a wireless commander, has a dedicated fill-in flash at the front. It does everything I can imagine ever wanting from a flash.
Have fun in Costa Rica, I wish I'd had an slr when I went there a few years ago!
02-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Same goes for the Sigma EF530 DG Super.
02-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote
[...]I can heartily recommend the Metz MecaBlitz 58 as an external flash.
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Same goes for the Sigma EF530 DG Super.
Depending on what you're looking for, the Sigma EF-530DG ST (non-super) may be worth looking into as well. Fewer fancy features and only token manual control, but a lot of power for the money. (And I assume that a lot of power is what you're looking for since you mention the Better Beamer.)

If you do want the fancy features, I'd personally recommend Metz or Pentax over Sigma: better build, better user interface, better compatibility, better service. But, that recommendation comes with a qualification:you have to pay more for all that. The Sigma Super is a lot cheaper and is still quite respectable.

02-27-2009, 04:25 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Depending on what you're looking for, the Sigma EF-530DG ST (non-super) may be worth looking into as well. Fewer fancy features and only token manual control, but a lot of power for the money. (And I assume that a lot of power is what you're looking for since you mention the Better Beamer.)

If you do want the fancy features, I'd personally recommend Metz or Pentax over Sigma: better build, better user interface, better compatibility, better service. But, that recommendation comes with a qualification:you have to pay more for all that. The Sigma Super is a lot cheaper and is still quite respectable.
I concur, when I bought my Metz I tried the Pentax and the Sigma at the same time, there wasn't really anything to choose between the Pentax and the Metz but the Sigma felt considerably less robust (although I'm sure it still performs like a champ), I wouldn't have been happy lugging it around with my kit, I felt like it would be easily damaged.
02-27-2009, 06:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a better beamer with my AF540 FGZ. You need to be careful however, as there is not a unit made specific for the AF540, at least there was not when I bought myne 2 years ago.

check the dimensions on the better beamer site and the flash dimensions to work out which you need, but be warned, it is not the same on as for the AF500FTZ flahs from pentax, I have one for that unit also
04-13-2009, 05:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beth_w737 Quote
Hi,

I'm going to Costa Rica (you may have seen my other threads in the lens forum) - and will either have the 50-135 DA or 55-300. (unless I rent the 300 F4 but getting nervous about the weight and chance of theft). I don't own a flash, only have the popup flash on my K10D. What external flash would you suggest, especially that would be compatible with the Better Beamer Flash Extender?

Thanks for your help. If I have a fast 2.8 lens, do I need an external flash, do you think?

Beth
The user zardozfromoz has the better beamer :

"> You know, I felt a bit embarrassed getting the thing out of my bag
> and putting it on the flash, because it's pretty big compared to what
> most people expect. I was also worried that it would fall off since
> I'd be doing some pretty agressive panning when I was down the fast
> end of the track.

>But my fears were unfounded. It was very easy to
> set up and use, and nobody laughed at me! As I mentioned, it got the
> attention of at least one serious photographer. And it handled the
> panning without budging, all with only the velcro straps that came
> with it. You have to make sure you get the correctly sized unit for
> your flash, though. All of the dealer websites fail to list the
> AF-540FGZ unit so you can't work out the right size. It took me ages
> searching the web before I found a girl who shoots birds with one on
> her AF-540FGZ. She told me the right one to buy, and I was all set.
> The correct one for the AF-540FGZ is the FX-2."

I've also heard of other combinations.

and
Better Beamer Flash Extender Review

I'm considering the Metz mecablitz 45 CL-4 digital.

Also check out Dominique/Tcom threads from Madagascar. I think he used the better beamer