Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
metz ring flash?

Does anybody have the new Metz ring flash? Metz 15 MS-1 wireless macro ring flash I'm debating between it and the Pentax AF160 FC ring flash. I did a search here and found some info on the Pentax, but it seems that no one owns the Metz. There is about a 100usd price difference on the two units, and the metz looks more flexible on paper, but I was hoping that someone could give me some definite feedback.

NaCl(input! I need input!)H2O

02-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's one thing about the Metz I don't care for at all - I just noticed this looking at the photos on Adorama - is that the trigger/control module clips over the pop-up flash. I'm not seeing things am I?

It's not a huge concern for me as I'll need to get a lot more serious about macro work to consider the cost of either one viable.
02-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
There's one thing about the Metz I don't care for at all - I just noticed this looking at the photos on Adorama - is that the trigger/control module clips over the pop-up flash. I'm not seeing things am I?
I'm not exactly sure how it all fits together, but as I understand it it's actually triggered by the built-in flash. So the cover makes sense.
02-27-2009, 05:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote

It's not a huge concern for me as I'll need to get a lot more serious about macro work to consider the cost of either one viable.
This and other questions are why I started the thread in the first place. Anybody out there have the Metz flash?

NaCl(it's hard to make an informed decision without information)H2O

02-27-2009, 05:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

So, as I look more, it occurs to me that there seems to be no connection between the clip on the built-in flash and the actual ring flash. I wonder if it's just there to keep the built-in flash out of the exposure? Maybe the light coming around the edges is enough to trigger/control the ring flash? Weird.
03-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

As I understood the ring flash is trigger by IR light, clip works as a filter.
Only one minus in Metz ring flash it doesn't include 49mm adapter ring.
03-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
As I understood the ring flash is trigger by IR light, clip works as a filter.
Only one minus in Metz ring flash it doesn't include 49mm adapter ring.
Correct, the clip is there to block everything but IR.

As for the 49mm ring, if you're paying that kind of money for a flash a $5-10 step up ring shouldn't be a major concern.

03-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
As for the 49mm ring, if you're paying that kind of money for a flash a $5-10 step up ring shouldn't be a major concern.
As live eastern europe country it's very hard to find that adapter ring but the Metz flashes is almost 150$ cheaper.