Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

How to set up my AF540FGZ to fire wirelessly with my K20D?

I have been trying this for quite some time now and I can't get it to fire wirelessly. This is a noob question, but do I need anything else than my K20D and my AF540FGZ? I have set the flash on wireless mode, chose channel 3 just to check if my K20D communicated with it and received the right channel. It did. What to do? I have read the manual and done the step-by-step instructions.

03-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is the on-board flash set to wireless mode too?
03-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yup, I put the camera to wireless mode.
03-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Nimrad,

The only other thing that I can think of is make sure that the flash is set to Slave I. Press and hold the "Light" button until the LCD changes and you'll see "Slave" and either "1" or "2". You want "1" for wireless TTL. Slave "2" allows the flash to be used as a dumb optical slave. pressing the "S" button in the middle of the rotating dial toggles between the two.

Scott

03-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
IIRC you have to use the flash in the hotshoe first just to get them both (body and flash) set to the same channel. then you can remove it and fire wirelessly using the onboard flash as the master and the 540 as the slave. I've done it a few times and it's worked fine.

If none of the suggestions here work, take it to where you bought it and ask them if you're doing something wrong or if it's the equipment.

Good luck.
03-05-2009, 04:36 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Nimrad,

The only other thing that I can think of is make sure that the flash is set to Slave I. Press and hold the "Light" button until the LCD changes and you'll see "Slave" and either "1" or "2". You want "1" for wireless TTL. Slave "2" allows the flash to be used as a dumb optical slave. pressing the "S" button in the middle of the rotating dial toggles between the two.

Scott
I already did that as that was a step in the manual.

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
IIRC you have to use the flash in the hotshoe first just to get them both (body and flash) set to the same channel. then you can remove it and fire wirelessly using the onboard flash as the master and the 540 as the slave. I've done it a few times and it's worked fine.

If none of the suggestions here work, take it to where you bought it and ask them if you're doing something wrong or if it's the equipment.

Good luck.
QuoteOriginally posted by Nimrad Quote
chose channel 3 just to check if my K20D communicated with it and received the right channel. It did.
Please read the posts before answering :>

But thanks for the tips, no luck yet. And since the place I bought it is on the other side of the Atlantic I still don't know what to do.

One more question: Do I have to open the onboard flash? Cause even if I have it on wireless mode my onboard flash just fires like it was the master flash.
03-08-2009, 02:38 AM   #7

One more question: Do I have to open the onboard flash? Cause even if I have it on wireless mode my onboard flash just fires like it was the master flash.

You must open the on-board flash (or use an attached shoe flash) to wirelessly trigger your 540.

There are two options for the onboard. You can fire it as the master flash, or you can have it fire as the controller only. Custom Setting Option #29, 'Flash in Wireless Mode' lets you choose between master and controller. (I leave mine on controller only)

Good luck,
Bierp

03-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

In addition to opening it, you must place the slave flash in a position such that the sensor of the slave flash can see the control flashes from your popup flash...