Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Is Sigma EF-530 DG Super good instead of Metz 48?

Sorry that I create yet another "which flash to buy" topic...

I need a good p-ttl flash with tilt and swivel head for indoors shooting. I wanted to buy the Metz 48 flash, but unfortunately the Pentax version is not available in any of the shops here. I couldn't beleive it, but all were sold and next shipment will (hopefully) arrive only at the end of March. But I'm afraid the price will go up (thanks to the falling of our currency ) and I'd need a flash sooner, so I don't really want to wait till end of March.

So I looked around and the Pentax version of Sigma EF-530 DG Super is available for almost the same price. That seems to be a nice flash, however it doesn't have that little bounce card (wth?!) and I've found a lot of topics here and on other forums about issues with this flash. So I'm not sure if it's a good idea to buy this flash, I don't want to face problems and (in)compatibility issues

Would you recommend buying the Sigma flash or should I just pre-order the Metz and wait till it (hopefully) arrives (and hope that the price won't go up till then)?

Thanks for any advice!

03-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi,
I never used Sigma 530 but I do have and use Metz 48: high quality, solid build and consistent p-ttl performance. Highly recommended.
Interesting thing about Mtz 48: not available 500km from where it's made but plenty 5000km away?
Good luck with whatever you get,
03-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #3

I'm sure they are both equally good in use, but the Metz feels alot more solidly built.
03-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I personally had the Sigma EF-530 DG Super for almost a month before I returned it in favor of the Metz 48 AF-1.

The Sigma is a decent flash with a lot of light for the money, but I didn't like:
  • more plasticky feel
  • seriously obtuse user interface, making any advanced feature a trip into to the not-so-great manual
  • no click stops at intermediate tilt angles (only locks forward and up
  • the total deal-breaker:the problem where the built-in flash's low-light focus-assist strobe triggers the Sigma flash erroneously some of the time

About my only complaint with the Metz 48 AF-1 is that it doesn't come with a flash stand or soft case, which translates into saying it's even more expensive. Oh, and it's unfortunate that it can't be used as an on-camera wireless controller.

03-08-2009, 02:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies so far.

Mattdm, did you have any other issues with the flash other than the annoyances you mentioned? I could live with those if it's reliable and works fine without technical issues.
03-08-2009, 04:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have two EF530 DG Super, and have absolutely no problems with them. The only annoyance I have is with the instruction book, which seems to have been translated from Japanese on Babelfish, and the display screen, which doesn't use very logical display.
03-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Mattdm, did you have any other issues with the flash other than the annoyances you mentioned? I could live with those if it's reliable and works fine without technical issues.
I think that's a pretty much it. I felt like other than those things it was a pretty nice flash.

I did also have some issues where it didn't seem to work in FP (aka HSS) mode when I thought it ought to, but this may have been a misunderstanding of the (like I said, not so good) manual.