Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax 540 or Metz 58

You all have been so nice with advice on my k20d and lenses (I am in--my 30 day period is over; I know I do not becomne a pentaxian by default, so I will work on it)--I thought I would push my luck.

I am considering the Pentax 540 or the Metz 58. I think I have read all of the threads and reveiws. I have been leaning towards the 540 given the price difference, though I know there is a Metz rebate currently.

I tried the Sigma Super 530 and was disappointed in build quality and operation, though it did work.

There is about a $70 difference between the 540 and Metz 58 with the Metz rebate.

I tend to prefer OEM stuff, but there are many poor or critical reviews of the 540 (along with good ones) and I do not see any particularly critical reviews of the Metz, other than perhaps it is more menu driven.

I know this topic has gotten coverage. I guess I am just looking for some last minute shopping advice.

Thanx in advance for your help.

Gregg

03-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Metz or Pentax...

I am currently looking at the exact same thing, and am leaning toward the Metz. It also has a USB port for updates. Might be useful if and when I upgrade to another Pentax DSLR in the future.
Hope some of the current users of these flashes can chime in to compare. After investing a great deal of money on a camera, I don't think price on an accessory should be a deciding factor, though.
03-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have been using the Pentax 540 FGZ for a while but just recently I bought a Metz 58.

The only problem I've had so far is that I can't figure out how to trigger the Metz wirelessly. I know what I'm doing here and I believe I've done everything right. Metz unit is set to channel 2, same as the camera; Metz is slave, camera is controller. I must be overlooking something really obvious, because I think I've considered the non-obvious problems. :-)

Aside from that, so far I like the Metz 58 very much. With the Metz 58 mounted in the K20D's hotshoe, I seem to get more reliable results than I did with the Pentax flash, even using P-TTL. That seems odd and I have not conducted any tests so I could be wrong. But I can also use the Metz in Auto mode even if the K20D is in P (hypermanual). I get good results in Auto, as well as in P-TTL.

The Metz feels better built than the Pentax 540 FGZ (touch wood). I had to spent 10 minutes reading the manual, but once you do that, the menus are very easy to negotiate. I like the menus better than all the physical buttons on the back of the Pentax 540 FGZ. I find the menus easier to understand. And I suspect that the fewer mechanical buttons there are, the fewer mechnical things there are to break.

I also like the fact that the Metz's firmware can be upgraded via USB.

Will
03-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i have been seriously considering upgrading my 360 flash
can any of you guys help by giving me some advantages and disadvantages between the 540 vs the 58

Dave

03-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Have had the Metz for a year and just received a 540. The buttons and battery lid on the 540 are a bit flimsy, but the unit itself feels ok. The Metz is simply a very good flash.

I think both are good choices. One point, the Metz cannot function as a wireless hss controller, but a firmware fix is in the make.
03-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
i have been seriously considering upgrading my 360 flash
can any of you guys help by giving me some advantages and disadvantages between the 540 vs the 58
Dave,

Check out Matt Miller's site - one of the single best Pentax resources on the web. Terrific resource.

Short answer to your question. In Metz's favor:
  1. Metz 58 seems to be sturdier than the Pentax 540 FGZ. If you've had problems with the Pentax flash units (as I have) you may appreciate this.
  2. Metz 58 has a higher guide number than the Pentax 540 FGZ, in other words, it puts out more light.
  3. Metz 58 has a number of other features that nothing else for Pentax has but which you might not care about (extended zoom, strobe feature).
Not so much in Metz's favor:
  1. Pentax products can be presumed to be more compatible with other Pentax products. I've been warned in the past that third-party flash units might not work with new camera models from Pentax. I'm not worried aobut that with the Metz however because it has an easily updatable firmware chip. I mentioned earlier that I've had some trouble with wireless triggering of the Metz that I don't have with the 540; there might be a compatibility glitch there, too.
  2. Metz costs more.
I would add that my gut reaction right now, after taking about 100 shots with the Metz 58, is it is generating better exposures for me than I was getting with the Pentax 540 FGZ. I could be wrong about that but that's how it looks to me right now.

Will
03-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
Have had the Metz for a year and just received a 540. The buttons and battery lid on the 540 are a bit flimsy, but the unit itself feels ok. The Metz is simply a very good flash.
On the Metz web site they boast that themecablitz 58 (always small "m" for some reason) got the Elsa award as best flash in Europe 2007/08. Pentax 540 FGZ, not so much.

QuoteQuote:
I think both are good choices. One point, the Metz cannot function as a wireless hss controller, but a firmware fix is in the make.
Good to know. I have been able to use the Metz 58 as master/controller for wireless use along with a Pentax 540. In other words, the Metz is on the hotshoe and I'm triggering the Pentax wirelessly. My wireless problem with the Metz comes when I try to use the Metz as a slave. I can trigger the Metz with the camera's built-in flash only if I point the camera's built-in flash RIGHT AT the Metz's sensor, which is pretty much useless. I get slightly better results if I mount the 540 on the camera and use it as a controller, but even then, the Metz's sensor seems not to be as sensitive as I would like and I can't trigger the Metz this way reliably. Since I can get it to work (especially with the 540 on the camera) much of the time I believe I've got everything installed correctly - it's just that the Metz wants a bigger kick in the pants than Pentax can provide every time. This isn't a huge deal for me as I use the flash most of the time mounted in the hotshoe. For portraits and wedding formals, if I want to use wireless, I'm glad to know that the Metz, mounted on the hotshoe, can trigger the 540.

Will

03-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The metz sensor is ok, but it is sensitive from the short left side. The sensor looks omnidirectional but it is not...
03-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I got my 540 for under $140 (customer return) so that ended the mental debate for me.
03-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Check out Matt Miller's site - one of the single best Pentax resources on the web. Terrific resource.
Thanks! Although, please update your bookmarks to point to pttl.mattdm.org — Google Knol wasn't cutting it for everything I wanted to do.
03-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Here where I'm at the Metz is cheaper by about $100 USD. I think I'll get the 58 soon.
03-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all

I appreciate all of your comments. I also checked on the Metz 48. The one issue that I see that would matter to me is that it cannot act as a master. Aside from that, is it that much less powerful?

I just checked and the price is fairly low and perhaps I may be able to use it for a while until I see the need for a second flash.

I know many hate this back and forth. Does anyone have the Metz 48 and regret the purchase because it is less powerful and only can act as a slave?

Thank you again.

Gregg