Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-14-2009, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Large test of Pentax 540 and Metz 58

I recently got the Pentax 540 flash and I have owned the Metz 58 for over a year.

I decided to spend this day (perhaps waist this day according to some) testing all kinds of combinations with these flashes:
- off and on camera
- with and without contrast control
- with the popup as master/controller
- with a big flash as master/controller

If you're interested:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~tomv/pentax/PentaxFlash.pdf

Feedback and suggestions for other tests are welcome.

03-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for your efforts!

Nice work Tomtor. You know, my kids quit being willing guinea pigs a long time ago- in fact now, whenever I get the camera out they scurry like cockroaches from the light! The stuffed animal looks like a great solution.

I too own the both a Metz 58 and Pentax 540. Personally I think the Metz build quality is better, and the four push-buttons on the back make for pretty quick and simple operation compared to the 540. I am unfortunately temporarily disabled from recent rotator cuff surgery, so doing a lot of this kind of testing would be tough right now.

I was initially going to get rid of my 540 in favor of another Metz, but it seems it might be worthwhile keeping one of each. Perhaps a follow-up to your testing could confirm this? My impression is that when using both, the Metz is the best one on-camera, but the 540 is the better of the two off-camera. But the $64-million dollar question is concerning High-Speed Sync with a slave flash. When scrolling through the Metz functions, it seems that you can choose "Remote", to use it as a slave, or "HSS", but NOT both. (Another poster from another thread also had the same info.) The 540 should be able to do both, according to the manual- IF you have a second 540 as controller, mounted on-camera. Soooo, the Metz -should- be able to operate as controller for the same purpose. Can you confim this? And whether or not the Metz -can- operate as slave in HSS mode?

I did plan to get around to doing that testing myself; sorry if I sound lazy in asking you. But your post is quite timely and I'm sure there are other readers who would benefit from the info. It appears the only "downfall" to using the two different brands together would be the possible confusion caused by their quite different controls. Thanks for the post.
Paul
03-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
My impression is that when using both, the Metz is the best one on-camera, but the 540 is the better of the two off-camera. But the $64-million dollar question is concerning High-Speed Sync with a slave flash. When scrolling through the Metz functions, it seems that you can choose "Remote", to use it as a slave, or "HSS", but NOT both. (Another poster from another thread also had the same info.) The 540 should be able to do both, according to the manual- IF you have a second 540 as controller, mounted on-camera. Soooo, the Metz -should- be able to operate as controller for the same purpose. Can you confim this? And whether or not the Metz -can- operate as slave in HSS mode?
I agree, the 540 is excellent off camera and the Metz on camera (especially when bouncing combined with the little fill reflector).

Concerning HSS wireless:

Wireless HSS with Metz and Pentax flashes: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Short summary: The metzes work fine as HSS slave, you only have to set the flash on the camera to HSS and all is fine.

However, due to a Metz firmware bug you cannot set HSS on a Metz as master/controller. This is acknowledged by Metz engineers and a firmware fix is promised.
03-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Aha! Well then, glad I wasn't too hasty in getting rid of my remaining 540. But once Metz does the firmware update, for consistency of operation and ease of use I'd probably pick up a second Metz. (Just hope they come out with it before their rebates end! ) Thanks Tomtor!

03-15-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
I recently got the Pentax 540 flash and I have owned the Metz 58 for over a year.

I decided to spend this day (perhaps waist this day according to some) testing all kinds of combinations with these flashes:
- off and on camera
- with and without contrast control
- with the popup as master/controller
- with a big flash as master/controller

If you're interested:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~tomv/pentax/PentaxFlash.pdf

Feedback and suggestions for other tests are welcome.
I replaced the document with a newer version. Changed the text regarding contrast mode, it is less useful than I initially thought, because the slave flash emits less light than the master.

Also added the Metz wireless sensitivity remark and HSS firmware and added a reference to Mattdm's flash site.