Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
linking 2 auto flashes

Hi everybody,
so my forray into falsh photography is getting deeper and deeper, so far so good. Some time ago I managed to get hold of AF280T in mint condition, I really enjoy using this on auto setting (has yet to let me down) but I ventured into M settings and was trying hard on that front too, but I simply need more practice.
Anyway, it's good flash, but bit bulky so this week I found and bought AF160SA. Cute little flash, great for fill in, or for indoors (max reach on auto is 4m, though manualy it can go as far as 10m on wide-ish f stops). Last time I was trying studio I was using AF280T and slave softbox strobe. Now since I purchased 2nd flash it crossed my mind to link my two units on the wire on hot shoe. That way I can use 160 on camera for fill in and have 280 off camera as main.
enough of my rant, the question:
If I put both of these units to auto mode do they talk??? will the camera know about both? and will they know about each other? I mean separately they are both capable of telling camera correct f stop to get correct exposure (flahs in auto, camera in P) but what happens if I link them? will the camera adjust f stop knowing there are 2 flashes or will I have to go fully manual?
Sorry for many Qs, hope it's not too confusing

TIA
P

03-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Try this:

Attached the 160 to the camera body. The 280 will be attached to an optical slave.

Match the ISO settings on the flashes and on the camera body.

Flashes will be in auto mode.

Set the aperture on the camera body so that it is 1 stop underexposure compared to the setting on the 160, and 1 stop overexposure compared to the setting on the 280. You may need to play with different ISO settings and/or different power setting on the flashes to achieve this.

Take test photos, and adjust if needed.
03-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Try this:

Attached the 160 to the camera body. The 280 will be attached to an optical slave.

Match the ISO settings on the flashes and on the camera body.

Flashes will be in auto mode.

Set the aperture on the camera body so that it is 1 stop underexposure compared to the setting on the 160, and 1 stop overexposure compared to the setting on the 280. You may need to play with different ISO settings and/or different power setting on the flashes to achieve this.

Take test photos, and adjust if needed.
optical slave - do you mean sensor that triggers the flash when it registers another flash going off?
that suggestion will be hard to realise because auto setting on both AF280 and AF160 @ ISO100 is f4, though 280 can be set to auto f8 @ ISO100, so then it could work...

how about my idea with wire? any comments on that?

BR
03-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Two such flashes each in auto mode will yield inconsistent and unpredictable results, by and large.

03-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
optical slave - do you mean sensor that triggers the flash when it registers another flash going off?
Yes. You can buy an optical slave for about $10 for the experiment. You may later decide to go wired or RF. The optical slave is still usable in many cases.

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
that suggestion will be hard to realise because auto setting on both AF280 and AF160 @ ISO100 is f4, though 280 can be set to auto f8 @ ISO100, so then it could work...
Set the camera aperture at f/5.6. It is 1 stop underexposure compared to the 160 (f/4) and 1 stop overexposure compared to the 280 (f/8).

Give it a try and experiment with the settings. Photons and electrons for the most part cost very little
03-20-2009, 12:59 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Yes. You can buy an optical slave for about $10 for the experiment. You may later decide to go wired or RF. The optical slave is still usable in many cases.

Set the camera aperture at f/5.6. It is 1 stop underexposure compared to the 160 (f/4) and 1 stop overexposure compared to the 280 (f/8).

Give it a try and experiment with the settings. Photons and electrons for the most part cost very little
duuuh...
I realised this after I posted it....
does it count when I say it was late in the night while writig it?

BR