Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Proud father of a new Metz 58

I just received a new Metz 58 for my k20d. I will start to play around with it this weekend and give my more than newb, but far less than expert impressions.

It seems much better built that the Sigma 530 Super that I returned. It also is more powerful and I know there has been some discussion that the menu/button system is less user friendly, but it seems pretty easy to use.

The manual is pretty nice, too.

Plus, attached to the k20d with a 16-50 or 50-135 it looks so cool.

I am already a professional photographer. No need for classes, training, experience, or years of taking pictures and perfecting technique. All I did was order everything on the Internet. That was easy.

Gregg

03-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I also have a Metz with my K10D and now K20D (I have the 48 model) and love it .Be seeing your work soon ?

cheers
03-21-2009, 01:05 AM   #3

I have a bouncing baby 58 AF-1 as well, it rocks - no question. I hope you'll be very happy together!
03-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Initial impressions of Metz 58

I do not have pictures to post yet, but I thought I would let you know of my initial impressions of the Metz 58.

It is well built. It is better built than the Sigma 530 Super. Certainly, like just about everything, virtually all is plastic, but it feels well built and not at all cheap.

It is very powerful. I was taking pictures of my son in a gymnastics center--warehouse high ceilings and flourescent lights. The flash looks to be very versatile in terms of range.

Refresh time is pretty good, not super fast, but reasonably so. I am just using rechargeable AA batteries.

The manual, though somewhat on the generic side, appears well written. I only have briefly referred to it so far. I hope to have some time to use it to go through all of the flash's functions.

I bought the Sto Fen diffuser and it works well. It is a very tight fit, but it does get on.

In terms of the Metz 58's attachment on to the hotshoe--with all of the stories about the Pentax 540 fgz getting stuck I am being careful. The Metz 58 attachment does feel more secure and durable than the Sigma 530 Super, but I gingerly and tenderly place the flash on and off the hotshoe. No problems so far.

Gregg

03-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Congrats! I am very happy with my Metz 48. Changing settings can be a bit finicky, but you get used to it.
03-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
pdo

The plastic hotshot on the Metz 58 is so fragile though. I broke mine 1 month before the 1 year warranty was over. I called BogenImaging then they sent me the plastic hotshoe and tell me to fix it myself.
03-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm glad you all like the Metz 58 since I ordered one today to take advantage of the 40$ rebate and for my trip to Jacksonville the first weekend next month. Some of the artist will be preforming after dark and I sure wish I had it last weekend in Tampa.

03-25-2009, 05:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here I go

Yesterday I purchased a 5 in 1 reflector, a boom arm, basic medium weight stand, another somewhat lighter stand, a clamp for my Metz 58, and a white umbrella.

Like others at my level I looked on Amazon and ebay and saw the inexpensive kits, either strobes or continuous lighting. I imagined myself doing portrait and fashion shots in my home of the rich and famous and then taking my kit to the ocean or lush meadows and doing outdoor sunset portrait work.

In the end, I took what appeared to be the best advise—start out with good basic stuff, items that are good enough that they will last, but nothing fancy, and if I really do get good enough to expand and get more serious, these items will be able to be in my bag or can be used as back up items.

I hope to break out the stuff this weekend an start to give things a try. I am very busy with work over the next couple of weeks, but perhaps when the kids are asleep I will practice on our Golden retriever. He is a service dog and is super calm. I’ll post some pictures when I get some. Iams, Nutro, Eukanuba here I come.
03-26-2009, 06:08 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by lawjbm Quote
I just received a new Metz 58 for my k20d. I will start to play around with it this weekend and give my more than newb, but far less than expert impressions.

It seems much better built that the Sigma 530 Super that I returned. It also is more powerful and I know there has been some discussion that the menu/button system is less user friendly, but it seems pretty easy to use.

The manual is pretty nice, too.

Plus, attached to the k20d with a 16-50 or 50-135 it looks so cool.

I am already a professional photographer. No need for classes, training, experience, or years of taking pictures and perfecting technique. All I did was order everything on the Internet. That was easy.

Gregg
Nice i own Sigma 530 Super and the Metx 58 is calling out to me to so thanks for the comparisons.

For the flash head, are they similar dimensions ? I ask as I just bought a Gary Fong Lightsphere (photo with it attached here) and just making sure it will fit.

thanks

George
03-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
Nice i own Sigma 530 Super and the Metx 58 is calling out to me to so thanks for the comparisons.

For the flash head, are they similar dimensions ? I ask as I just bought a Gary Fong Lightsphere (photo with it attached here) and just making sure it will fit.

thanks

George
I had the same universal Gary Fong Lightsphere like you have and it fits well on the Metz 58AF as long as you dont swing your flash too hard up and down or side to side. I like the A mode on 58AF, my indoor shots with bouncing of the celling come out very well exposed with light spreading out evently. I'm very happy and impressed with products like this.
03-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think the dimensions are approximately the same, but the Metz seems to be a little bigger. I know that is not much help. Sorry.

I agree with others that it is quite powerful.

Gregg
03-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Size 4

QuoteOriginally posted by eva2000 Quote

thanks

George
The local camera store is going out of business and had a bunch of Fong LightSpheres on clearance. I was able to try the fit before I bought one, and for the Metz 58, it is the Size 4.
Paul
03-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Mine arrived today and it's alot heavier than I thought it was going to be. What it the white plastic pull-out for? Is it a shield of some kind to stop blounce off the ceiling.
I hope I can figure out how to use it for long shots before I head to Jacksonville next Friday night.
03-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Mine arrived today and it's alot heavier than I thought it was going to be. What it the white plastic pull-out for? Is it a shield of some kind to stop blounce off the ceiling.
I hope I can figure out how to use it for long shots before I head to Jacksonville next Friday night.
It's a mini bounce card so that you get some fill when you bounce the flash off of the ceiling so that you don't get that "racoon eye" look on your subjects.
03-28-2009, 06:19 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by snappy Quote
I had the same universal Gary Fong Lightsphere like you have and it fits well on the Metz 58AF as long as you dont swing your flash too hard up and down or side to side. I like the A mode on 58AF, my indoor shots with bouncing of the celling come out very well exposed with light spreading out evently. I'm very happy and impressed with products like this.
what happens if you swing the flash too hard ??? falls off ?

QuoteOriginally posted by lawjbm Quote
I think the dimensions are approximately the same, but the Metz seems to be a little bigger. I know that is not much help. Sorry.

I agree with others that it is quite powerful.

Gregg
thanks anyway

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
The local camera store is going out of business and had a bunch of Fong LightSpheres on clearance. I was able to try the fit before I bought one, and for the Metz 58, it is the Size 4.
Paul
strange i bought mine locally in OZ and there was no size mentioned ?