Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Differences in Wireless Flash Triggers?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've been looking to get some cheap wireless triggers like the Cactus triggers. Reliability is not a huge issue with me.

So what I've seen is that there are 2 main kinds of triggers:

1. Gadget Infinity Cactus Triggers, decent from what I've heard, but the mount for the flash isn't that great.

2. Other generic Hong Kong flash triggers, here

2. The ones that come with PC sync adaptors, and no hotshoe mount. The flash is then more sturdy on the stand. here Would these work with a AF200T?

I'd prefer to get them from the US because of shipping times, but I guess I can wait if the Cacti are better than the US ones.

Thanks,

RD

03-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #2

Well I have a few of the version shown here

TR-06 Remote Radio Trigger Control Hot Shoe Flash - eBay (item 370134264285 end time Mar-21-09 21:33:16 PDT)

... which is kind of a cross between the two generic versions you've linked to.

I've had very few issues with them. They don't fire 100% of the time, but the misfires are rare.
Attached Images

03-20-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Cactus triggers are available here in the US.

Strobist Gear
Dave "The Strobist" Hobby pimps these guys a lot. Bought my set last year from them. One receiver came DOA and they turned a replacement around immediately, no questions asked.
04-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #4

Venturi is right.

Midwest Photo Exchange is on High St. just north of downtown Columbus, OH. I've been going there for years (whenever I'm in Columbus) and they are great people. They will take good care of you!

Midwest Photo Exchange New and Used Photographic Cameras, Lighting, Printers, Medium and Large Format

Packrat

04-22-2009, 06:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the "V2s" version as well. Works at 1/180 w/ Nikon flashes and my K10D and K20D. If you're doing paid work, I'd look at the cybersyncs or radiopopper JrX whenever they're released. If not, the fleabay/cactus/etc. triggers should be fine.
04-22-2009, 06:44 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Reliability is an issue for me, so I spent the big bucks and got a pair of genuine Pocket Wizards. I'm not using camera flash units with adaptors though, I'm using studio flash.
There are no issues with misfires with the Pocket Wizards, no issues with not keeping up to higher sync speeds, no issues with the flash not firing every time I push the button.
I like that, since equipment malfunctions really irritate me.
OTOH, we are talking a price range that is far above what's being discussed here, so there certainly was a price to be paid.
04-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Like Wheatfield, I believe reliability is a huge issue. I tried the eBay "Poverty Wizards" and found them to be pretty unreliable. I ended up with the Cybersyncs (from Paul C. Buff) and they work like a charm. You will also find some folks here who are very happy with the Flashwaves. Both are quite a bit cheaper than Pocket Wizards, but have fewer features. If you want something relatively expensive and reliable I'd do a search here on both units for more detailed info.

04-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've had the Cactus V2s triggers for about a year now, it works about 90% of the time, when it fails it's due to the battery contacts but overall for $40 I can't complain. Cactus have just released V4 and they look much better and people are reporting better performances, although some are still not happy.
04-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SCguy Quote
I've been looking to get some cheap wireless triggers like the Cactus triggers. Reliability is not a huge issue with me.

So what I've seen is that there are 2 main kinds of triggers:

1. Gadget Infinity Cactus Triggers, decent from what I've heard, but the mount for the flash isn't that great.
Try the V4's - the flash mount isn't good for Nikon Speedlites (I've read) but my Pentax flash and a friend's old Vivitar had no problem fitting and firing consistently. I've yet to have a misfire with them, but then this is only after about a month of limited use. Fresh, strong batteries for the receiver makes a *huge* difference.

Also, the V4 Cactus Triggers are a different shape from the V2s and apparently much more stable for heavier flashes, and can handle higher trigger voltages for different kinds of flash heads.

Same price, and well worth the wait (2 weeks for the cheapest delivery option)
04-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I recently got the V4 Cactus and so far so good. I can't wait to use it with the old folding cameras and TLRs I have