Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Side-Mount Flash Adapter (w/swiveling feature)

'don't rightly know how 'on-the-money' my source was, but I had mentioned to her (camera store salesperson) how I wish that I had purchased the Pentax 540, because (primarily) of its 'swiveling-head' feature. She then went on to say that she didn't have what I am about to mention, but that there was a side-bracket for a flash unit - which incorporated a swiveling feature. If I could find one (she informed) it would be a whole lot cheaper (I'm sure) than shelling out for a dedicated flash w/swiveling head.

I wasn't able to find anything like that, at the Pentax website, nor at any of the online camera outlets that I am somewhat familiar with. If anyone is knowledgeable of what she spoke on, please forward some direction to me.

Advanced thanks.

04-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Nathan,
Take a look at these. I see a lot of Wedding Photographers using them.
Flash Brackets - Camera Accessories
Also these
Flash Brackets - Camera Accessories
04-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look on ebay for a Vivitar flash bracket. I think it is the PG-1 or something like that. Just search "vivitar bracket" and you should see them. They come and go but if there aren't any listed try again in a few days. The shoe base swivels. It does have a metal shoe so I'm not sure if you will have to tape it or not but it would give you your swivel.

Attachment 2081

Make sure you get both the camera bracket and the handle...

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-05-2007 at 09:58 AM.
04-10-2007, 07:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alan, thanks.

I do appreciate your provided links, and a visit to both seemed to reveal that neither of them might work out for me. None of them seemed to mention the 'swiveling' feature, and there may also be a huge problem in finding one that can be used with my battery grip attached. The fit & feel of my K10D is much closer to what I like - with it on - and I refuse to operate without the two being coupled together.

............................................................................................................

Hey Mike ~ I thank you too.

I will look into that Vivitar unit, but have the same concerns (as above) regarding this attachment being able to properly span my camera's body/grip marriage. But I really do appreciate your taking the time to look into this for me.

04-11-2007, 05:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nathan,

The Vivitar one should work fine under your battery grip as long as there is a tripod screw available. The camera bracket has a very long slot so the flash can be moved out as required to clear even a fairly wide camera. If you can find it with 2 camera adapters, one for "35mm" and another for "medium format" you'll be better off. The "medium format one provides a larger base area and allows some front/back adjustments that might be helpful with your battery grip.

Mike

p.s. please note... this bracket will place the flash at about the same horizontal level as your normal hot shoe, but shifts it off to one side, typically the left (as viewed from behind the camera) but it can be used on the right as well. Of course, with the battery grip in place the flash would likely be a little lower than if mounted to your hot shoe.

here is a better picture...

Attachment 2106

The cold shoe swivels and the grip can be removed from the camera bracket by pushing a single button at the base of the grip.

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-05-2007 at 09:58 AM.
04-11-2007, 07:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, Mike...my battery grip does have the threads for a tripod's mounting plate screw. So this Vivitar flash bracket should attach without any problems. I will definitely check into it. Thanks again.
04-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #7

Since the flash will be off camera, you will also need a cable to connect the flash to the camera hot shoe. Promaster makes one for about $40. The Pentax assembly is three piece and will cost about twice that amount. The alternative to the cable is to use the flash in the wireless mode.
04-11-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

JohnV,

Very true... has anyone used the Promaster cable? This would also isolate the flash from the metal shoe on the grip.

Mike

04-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #9

I found the Promaster cable at a local camera store. It works the same as if the flash was attached to the camera's hot shoe. The cable is coiled and stretches to about 2 ft. It works good.
04-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #10
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
nathan,
even tho both my flashes swivel i made a bracket that would allow it. you just need to loosen the flashes mount, rotate it an you are all set. i use this for macros but it could be configured differently by makeing a differently bent flash mount..

04-12-2007, 07:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Roy...

for the info and the illustrative photo.
04-12-2007, 07:41 AM   #12
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
JohnV,

Very true... has anyone used the Promaster cable? This would also isolate the flash from the metal shoe on the grip.

Mike

I have the Promaster cable. It works just fine. You can pick it up at Onecall.com for about $48 plus shipping.

I picked up a bargain on the Stroboframe PRO-RL and have my AF540 mounted on it with the Promaster cord hooking them up.

Set up works really great.

Ed
04-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Looks like a pretty versatile setup Roy. Any chance of seeing a pic of just the bracket itself and/or one with the flash attached without the camera mounted. It'd be easier to see how the bracket works this way.