Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why is SR disabled in wireless flash mode?

Okay, so I'm a total noob at off-camera flash, but I'm wondering *why* is Shake Reduction automatically turned off when the Flash Mode is set to W(ireless)?

Does this have something to do with acceptable shutter-speeds for flash? (I guess trailing-curtain sync won't work in Pentax wireless...).
Thanks for any illumination (pun) on the topic!

04-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think they needed the CPU cycles for commander mode. They thought SR doesn't matter anyways since a flash's strobe pulse will freeze any action lit by the flash...
Sucks that we can't use the popup flash in this mode as a focus assist light (no flash) though...it just turns off SR so doing handheld low light work is harder...
04-03-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Okay, so I'm a total noob at off-camera flash, but I'm wondering *why* is Shake Reduction automatically turned off when the Flash Mode is set to W(ireless)?
I'd guess it's probably a matter of timing. Fortunately with flash you don't really need SR.
04-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I'd guess it's probably a matter of timing. Fortunately with flash you don't really need SR.
Well, I've actually done some shots where keeping the background from being all black required a slower shutter and the flash just pops the foreground (SR makes a world of difference under 1/20).

I'm just waiting for my Cactus V4 triggers to arrive from Taiwan so I can forget about this problem (and kiss P-TTL goodbye in the process...).

04-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I think they needed the CPU cycles for commander mode. They thought SR doesn't matter anyways since a flash's strobe pulse will freeze any action lit by the flash...
Sucks that we can't use the popup flash in this mode as a focus assist light (no flash) though...it just turns off SR so doing handheld low light work is harder...
you sure about that? give it a try, when i was testing the wireless mode the other night i swear i had the popup flash (even in controller mode) illuminate my subject when i turned the lights down.

i'll try again today,
04-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #6

I don't know why SR is disabled but wireless mode is only relevant with Pentax flashes or perhaps third-party flashes dedicated to the Pentax. Non-dedicated flashes, like my old Vivitar 283, don't need it and can't use it. No problem for me because I set the flash mode on my K10D to Flash On and Flash Comp to -1 or -2. I have a tiny Wein slave on my 283 which is engineered to ignore the Pentax pre-flash. Thus the on-board flash is primarily a trigger for the 283 while providing a little fill and putting some catchlights in the eyes.

The only problem with this setup is when photographing events where other people are popping their flashes. I have to keep my hand over the Wein sensor to keep it from being triggered by those flashes. A radio slave would be more appropriate in those situations but I don't do enough events to justify the expense.

Richard
04-04-2009, 04:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

If you are using wireless mode perhaps it assumes that the camera will be in a studio setup and that you will be using a tripod in any case so you would then turn off SR, so it does it for you.