Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Flash Bracket Suggestions

I am building my birhtday list and I think I want to include some photo gear (of course) I am shooting a wedding later this year, and maybe some other events so I am thinking about getting the Pentax TR Power Pack III for the 540FGZ and I think that I want to get an L-Bracket setup to put it all on. I will be using the DBG-2 grip on the K10D. Anyone have a similar setup in a bracket they can recommend to me?

04-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #2

Those brackets, like a lot of accessories can be really confusing. I studied a lot and ended up with a Custom Brackets brand (website is www.custombrackets.com) CB Digital T and am pretty happy with it. (Have same camera set-up as you have, too). You can also custom assemble a bracket, using the system on the website.
04-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think the Just Rite Brackets are interesting for the number of features, but I haven't used one.
YouTube - Just Rite Camera Brackets

Site is down for me.
www.justritebracket.com

Carried at MPEX
Just Rite Brackets

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 04-12-2009 at 01:39 PM.
04-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was on B&H and saw the CB-T model and I think I am going to put that one on my list. But that Just Right one looks pretty cool, I will check that one out now!

04-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've always been a fan of the Really Right Stuff and I believe they've got the best flash bracket available (pretty expensive though): Really Right Stuff - Flash Brackets for Use On-Camera
04-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yikes, maybe when I start getting paid to do this stuff, I will invest in one of those.
04-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've got this one: 233B Bogen - Manfrotto Flash Bracket w/ Telescopic Column.

04-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Diego, Buddha mentioned a L-bracket AND the grip, is there a L-bracket that fits the K20D with the grip? The RRS flash bracket will work with just a bottom plate on the grip but you lose being able to shoot in portrait mode on a tripod (unless you flop the camera).
04-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buddha, the RRS stuff is ungodly expensive at first blush, but it would be the only flash bracket you'll ever buy. If you spend $100 or $150 on something lesser now and then end up with the RRS later, it will be in effect, $100 or $150 more expensive. This is what I'm facing, I bought an Alzo bracket and while it's ok I've been looking at the RRS just to keep all my support stuff compatible, not to mention top notch build quality and way more ease of use. There is a reason RRS is so expensive. Machining ain't cheap and RRS's complete system is something to behold.
04-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eaglerapids reminded me...I first tried a Kirk L-shaped "flippable" flash bracket (not to be confused with camera L brackets). The small ball head supporting the arm on the bracket never could support my AF500FTZ flash. So now the Kirk bracket sits in my "parts pile" to rob QR pieces etc. I suppose with a replacement mini-ball head it could be made to work, but...

And actually getting used? Two Really Right Stuff flash brackets, one large another smaller--models they don't currently make as they've upgraded in the ten or so years since I bought mine. Both work great, even after falling out of the truck on the freeway this fall...Perhaps it might be less expensive to do it right the first time?

Anybody else have a cheap ineffective tripod sitting around that was upgraded for the tripod that should have been purchased in the first place? Eaglerapids nailed this one big time...buy the best flash bracket you can find/afford with the expectation that you'll never need to upgrade again. It's less expensive that way!

So I guess this means I can't offer you a Kirk L-bracket for flip flash really cheap? It only needs an inexpensive mini-ball head to be fully functional...
04-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Anybody else have a cheap ineffective tripod sitting around that was upgraded for the tripod that should have been purchased in the first place?
That would be me
(I'm fearful, I might do it with other photostuff as well )
04-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing to watch out for are brackets which place the flash in a horizontal position when the camera is turned to portrait orientation. A great many brackets, including Really Right Stuff's wedding bracket do this. The problem is this places an incredible amount of stress on the flash's shoe, expecially when that shoe is plastic (damned near every modern flash).

I use a Stroboframe VH2000 which keeps the flash vertical in both portrait and landscape orientation. This bracket is not as tall as most others so the separation between the flash and the lens axis isn't as great as the more traditional L brackets, but this is not a real problem if you are using modifiers and softeners on your flash.

Mike
04-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike on the RRS bracket the flash rotates to the vertical when you move the camera to portrait mode, well you have to move it but it slides along the bracket.
http://reallyrightstuff.com/flash/03.html
04-13-2009, 09:44 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Mike on the RRS bracket the flash rotates to the vertical when you move the camera to portrait mode, well you have to move it but it slides along the bracket.
Really Right Stuff ... Portrait Perfect Packages
That is a really cool product.
04-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I am building my birhtday list and I think I want to include some photo gear (of course) I am shooting a wedding later this year, and maybe some other events so I am thinking about getting the Pentax TR Power Pack III for the 540FGZ and I think that I want to get an L-Bracket setup to put it all on. I will be using the DBG-2 grip on the K10D. Anyone have a similar setup in a bracket they can recommend to me?
Hey Buddah,

Check out my rig!

Stroboframe PRO RL

Camera shown for illustration purposes.

Lumniquest Promax flash diffuser.

Name:  Stroboframe 002.jpg
Views: 3480
Size:  22.6 KB

Vivitar 285

Vivitar remote sensor

Wein safe sync.

If you want a pic of camera on bracket, let me know.

I have a wedding comming up also.