Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Flash Advice

Hi

I know this question will seem like I'm the only one who could answer it because I will know my needs (but I don't yet), but any input would be greatly welcomed.

I bought the Pentax 360 but now have a chance to buy the Pentax 540 at a good price. I don't have to sell the 360 to fund the 540 but would it be advisable or do you think I would end up regretting selling it ?. I know this may be a difficult question for you to answer for me but as I'm new to flash photography and learning I don't really know the answer myself.

I would welcome the extra power and swivel head of the 540 so will definatley be getting it. Do you find 2 flashes to be very useful or a luxury ? Will a reflector be a better option than the 2nd flashgun for a newbie ?

By the way I also have a generic flash with similar output to the Pentax 360 but no wireless TTL. so another option would be to keep this and sell the Pentax 360.

Do I need the Pentax 360 because of it's wireless TTL ? or would the wireless slave of the generic flash be adequate ?

Or should I keep all three flashes ?

Thanks

Jason

04-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What type of flash photography are you desiring to shoot?

If you just want a good flash to use on the hot shoe then I'd say get the AF540 and you're set.

If you're wanting to start doing off-camera flash work then there are a bizillion different directions to go. I (so far) have the AF540FGZ, 2 Vivitar 285HVs, an AF280T and an AlienBees AB800 monolight; and a metric ton of supporting gear to go with them all.
If you're just getting started with "studio" style flash work though, the 360 is all you need right now. Take yourself and that flash over to Strobist: Lighting 101
04-11-2009, 07:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Why don't you get the 540 and in a couple months reflect on your shooting to see if you really need the 360 then decide to keep or seel it?