Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #1

p-ttl vs auto flashes

I'm trying to decide on a flash and wanted to see your opinions on p-ttl vs auto. what do you think works better? would it be better to invest on a cheap used auto flash (280t?) and receivers compred to the newer wireless p-ttl?

It seems most of the new p-ttl models don't have auto features unless you get the really expensive models or 360fgz (which doesn't swivel ).

04-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If you:

- Don't need high speed, wireless, trailing curtain sync.
- Use lenses with PK or M42 mount.
- Want to trigger other external flashes using optical slaves.
- Are willing to check to make sure ISO and aperture settings on the flash and on the camera match (this is not too bad, considering what you have to do to make P-TTL to produce photos with decent exposure)
- Don't want to spend a lot of money.

then go for a flash with auto. You don't need P-TTL.

Try to get a used Nikon SB-24/25/26/28. My local Craigslist has them regularly for about $80 - $120. Once in a while you get lucky and find one for much less as part of a package deal (I bought my SB-25 for $20).

Or get a used Sunpak or Vivitar. Dedicated flashes are OK if they have auto mode. If they are not for Pentax, you can always remove the data pins, leaving just the trigger (center) pin. Make sure the flash has low trigger voltage, however. I've been using a Vivitar 3500 and a Vivitar 283 with 9.4V trigger voltage with my K10D.

A new Vivitar 285HV is about $90. Its head can zoom (manually) and bounce, but does not swivel.
04-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eyou Quote
It seems most of the new p-ttl models don't have auto features unless you get the really expensive models or 360fgz (which doesn't swivel ).
Although if you're using it off-camera swivel is almost a non-issue.

For what it's worth, I'm very happy with wireless P-TTL.
04-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with the SOldBear's thoughts. I didn't want to spend the $$$ needed to get a P-TTL flash with a swivel head, so I opted for a $80 Nikon SB-25 I bought off of eBay. I've used it in Auto and Manual modes and while I'm still getting used to it and (re)learning how to best use auto/manual flash photography, I'm very pleased. I'm using it on camera, though. What I appreciate the most about it is that it makes be think and experiment with my photography more than I think the P-TTL flash would. At this stage, I don't want the full automation.

I also especailly liked how the SB-25 (same with the 24, 26, 28, & 80) will be a highly configurable off-camera flash, too, when I get to that (I'll try to get a set of wireless triggers in the next few months after my wife has settled down from my recent K10D & lens purchases). I have a Vivitar 2000, also, that I'll use as a 2nd off camera unit, too. I don't think the Vivs & Sunpaks swivel (or at least only a few do).

Mattdm knows what he's talking about with the P-TTL. From what I've read, I don't think I'd be afraid of wireless P-TTL, either.

04-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only have 2 auto flashes, no P-TTL and I'm hesitating to purchase one...
My flashguns (AF160SA and AF280T) give me all I need and probably more reliable exposure then P-TTL flashes. If you only need it for simple low light situations, don't worry to go with AUTO flashes. They are VERY RELIABLE..

BR
04-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #6

I've been dithering about a flash and then remembered I have a Nikon SB 80. From what you say, that should be fine, right?
04-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pardes Quote
I've been dithering about a flash and then remembered I have a Nikon SB 80. From what you say, that should be fine, right?
Those ancient things are useless. I'll take it off your hands

But yes, it'll work fine in A mode. Not as good as a Metz but it'll work fine.

04-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Those ancient things are useless. I'll take it off your hands

I'm naive for being 63 but not quite THAT naive.

But yes, it'll work fine in A mode. Not as good as a Metz but it'll work fine.
Now if I can just find it! Thanks for the info.

I also temporarily have in my possession, a Digital Concepts AF25/Nik that's used on the morgue digital Nikon cameras. The pin placement appears to match the pin placement of the K20D so wouldn't it work? I notice that company has the same model for every brand of camera. Is there really any difference?

THANKS for your answer.
04-17-2009, 12:08 AM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pardes Quote
Now if I can just find it! Thanks for the info.

I also temporarily have in my possession, a Digital Concepts AF25/Nik that's used on the morgue digital Nikon cameras. The pin placement appears to match the pin placement of the K20D so wouldn't it work? I notice that company has the same model for every brand of camera. Is there really any difference?

THANKS for your answer.
the position of the pins is the same on Nikon/Pentax flashes, but unfortunately that's where it ends. AFAIK Nikon flashes (SB24,25,26,28 and 80) will work in Auto mode, no other! 3rd party flashes with Nikon pinout will work in Auto mode (if provided by flash), no other! So if your DC AF25 has auto setting you're fine to go, just need to match ISO and f stop. Otherwise it'll work in manual mode only, where you need to keep adjusting f stop (ISO) depending on the distance from the subject...

BR