Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interface & build quality: AF540FGZ or Metz 58?

Hi All,

I currently have a (second-hand) AF360FGZ for my K20D, and I really like what it can do (especially wireless p-ttl). What I don't like is the lack of swivel when it's on my camera (as I bounce pretty much every shot I can). I'd also like more power for outdoor shots...

Considering the build quality of the Pentax flashes (not perfect, and those battery doors are a pain), I'm leaning toward a Metz. However, I know the AF360 pretty well now, and the Metz heads have the "two-button, menu-driven" interface which some say is a pain. (I'm also assuming the 540 has a similar interface to the 360 - correct me if not, please.)

Since I'll be using these together (wireless, with the swivel head both on-camera and off), will the differences between the brands drive me nuts, or will I rejoice at the build and power of the Metz?

Thanks,

-Mark

Last edited by panoguy; 04-15-2009 at 11:43 AM.
04-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Hi All,

I currently have a (second-hand) AF360FGZ for my K20D, and I really like what it can do (especially wireless p-ttl). What I don't like is the lack of swivel when it's on my camera (as I bounce pretty much every shot I can). I'd also like more power for outdoor shots...

Considering the build quality of the Pentax flashes (not perfect, and those battery doors are a pain), I'm leaning toward a Metz. However, I know the AF360 pretty well now, and the Metz heads have the "two-button, menu-driven" interface which some say is a pain. (I'm also assuming the 540 has a similar interface to the 360 - correct me if not, please.)

Since I'll be using these together (wireless, with the swivel head both on-camera and off), will the differences between the brands drive me nuts, or will I rejoice at the build and power of the Metz?

Thanks,

-Mark
The Metz flashes have about twice as many features as the Pentax ones, so the menu interface is basically a necessity. (Note that most of these features are very, very minor.) I think you can get used to either one and after not so long not think about it too much.

Sorry, that's probably not very helpful in making up your mind.
04-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The Metz flashes have about twice as many features as the Pentax ones, so the menu interface is basically a necessity. (Note that most of these features are very, very minor.) I think you can get used to either one and after not so long not think about it too much.

Sorry, that's probably not very helpful in making up your mind.
Actually, very helpful. Thanks to your site and others, I reviewed the extra features and base capabilities of the two a bit closer, and I don't need any more features than the 540 has (except maybe a battery door that stays firmly shut). And the 540 interface is at least identical to my 360, so I'm lightening my mental load and sticking with Pentax-brand. I'll just have to put electrical tape on the 540 door whenever *it* comes loose.... ;-)
04-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am a little late to this, but can't say enough good things about the Metz 58. It's a very powerful, well built, and overall awesome flash. The Auto mode on it does better than Canon's E-TTL and presumably Pentax's P-TTL. Plus, the light just looks *better* coming out of it.

04-18-2009, 01:53 AM   #5

I have also the Metz 58 flash. While I knew the complaints about the menu, I had no problems with it since the beginning. I actually never read the manual as I find the menu and the options there rather clear and easy to customize. It is a powerful and well built flash.
04-18-2009, 02:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Hi All,

-Mark
Another biggie negative is the power or the lack thereof of AF360.

I never flash direct at my subject and bounce flash takes a lot of power indeed

Daniel