Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Stuck zoom head on Metz 48

Hello,

Today when I switched on my Metz 48 flash, the LCD display shows "Er" instead of the zoom length. I'm guessing this means that the zoom head has gotten stuck. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do to fix it or will I have to send the flash to Metz?

Thanks

04-18-2009, 04:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've never experienced that. What you could try is switch it off for a few minutes, change the batteries to new ones and make sure it is mounted on the camera correctly. If you still get the error then I'm afraid sending it for repair is the only option.
04-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
I've never experienced that. What you could try is switch it off for a few minutes, change the batteries to new ones and make sure it is mounted on the camera correctly. If you still get the error then I'm afraid sending it for repair is the only option.
Thanks for the reply. I've tried everything you mention, but no luck.
04-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is a common failure with pretty much all motorized-zoom flashes. Send it in.

06-22-2009, 03:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just a quick update. I sent the flash to Metz (or Bogen Imaging), and they fixed it under warranty, no questions asked.
06-23-2009, 06:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
Just a quick update. I sent the flash to Metz (or Bogen Imaging), and they fixed it under warranty, no questions asked.
Just curious how long did it take them?
06-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It took a while, about a month. Supposedly the repair shop had a lot of units at that time, normal turnaround time should be around 10 days.
07-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #8

I got the same situation here in Vietnam and we have no warranty for that since the fee of sending to warranty might be higher than the price.

My Metz 48 hasn't been in Er for zoom mode when mount on my K20D. But when one of my friend borrow it and use with his K20D => "Er" happen! Moreover, sometime it show Er, sometime is not. Of course, the zoom is malfunction.

After "Er" on my Metz, I take it back and try to reset but nothing change. Even using on my K20D, it is still display "Er". Somehow, I try using Slave Mode and after a few shot, it come back to normal as nothing happen, no "Er" until now.

Although it was happen, my friend buy another Metz 48 (it take 1 month to deliver from Amazon to Vietnam via some importer). The "Er" happen again on his K20D!

I will exchange the Metz 48 for him in the next few days trying to recover it to nomal.

02-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #9

DIY-Fixing Metz 48 broken wires

Disclaimer: Do not open the flash unit yourself if you don't know how to deal with the more than lethal amount of energy stored in the capacitor. Do not open the flash unit if you don't have a working voltage meter that you can use to verify the capacitor potential. Do not discharge the capacitor with a short circuit or it might blow up. Also you will lose any warranty when opening the flash yourself.

I bought one broken Metz 48 with a problem. The problem was diagnosed "stuck zoom", but I found several failures all resulting of the same malfunction of broken wires:
1. Zoom is "stuck", 'Er' shown on the screen in zoom position.
2. Tilting position detection does not work.
3. Flash ignition feedback loop failure, resulting in flash firing too early in all modes.

The problem was that several wires were strangled around each other during temporary failure of swiveling joint limiter. The swivel was turned multiple times clockwise over the 360 degree limiter. One connector was detached and some wires were detached from both ends of the cable.

Opening the flash was a trick. After easily opening the lower body with torx screws, upper body was a challenge. To open the upper body you have to use a lot of force to slide back (away from the the direction where you would point the flash) the plastic side walls of the actual light producing tilting head.

After spending a day of fixing and a few hours of shopping tools, I got the flash working perfectly with my K20D

P.S. I got my part of the capacitor charge by just being ignorant/stupid. Luckily this was limited to pain, since I did not touch the flash with my both hands at the moment of stupidness. After the electric shock, I measured capacitor potential of 265V and I discharged the capacitor with an incandescent bulb of 230V/40W and the bulb was well lit for several seconds.

Last edited by leppiz; 02-04-2010 at 11:19 PM.
05-17-2010, 03:14 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by leppiz Quote
Disclaimer: Do not open the flash unit yourself if you don't know how to deal with the more than lethal amount of energy stored in the capacitor. Do not open the flash unit if you don't have a working voltage meter that you can use to verify the capacitor potential. Do not discharge the capacitor with a short circuit or it might blow up. Also you will lose any warranty when opening the flash yourself.

I bought one broken Metz 48 with a problem. The problem was diagnosed "stuck zoom", but I found several failures all resulting of the same malfunction of broken wires:
1. Zoom is "stuck", 'Er' shown on the screen in zoom position.
2. Tilting position detection does not work.
3. Flash ignition feedback loop failure, resulting in flash firing too early in all modes.

The problem was that several wires were strangled around each other during temporary failure of swiveling joint limiter. The swivel was turned multiple times clockwise over the 360 degree limiter. One connector was detached and some wires were detached from both ends of the cable.

Opening the flash was a trick. After easily opening the lower body with torx screws, upper body was a challenge. To open the upper body you have to use a lot of force to slide back (away from the the direction where you would point the flash) the plastic side walls of the actual light producing tilting head.

After spending a day of fixing and a few hours of shopping tools, I got the flash working perfectly with my K20D

P.S. I got my part of the capacitor charge by just being ignorant/stupid. Luckily this was limited to pain, since I did not touch the flash with my both hands at the moment of stupidness. After the electric shock, I measured capacitor potential of 265V and I discharged the capacitor with an incandescent bulb of 230V/40W and the bulb was well lit for several seconds.
Hello, can i help me with umount head of Metz 48 and 58?

I have open easily low body of flash but the head not have any screw

Do you write for me a small scheme for umount?

Many thanks and best regards
04-20-2013, 12:52 AM   #11

I'm sorry for such a long delay before answering.

I cannot really recall anything more specific instructions on how to open the flash than what's written above.