Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
Inactive Account

flash question

hi, i have a k100d and i need to know if i can use a canon 430 EX II flash unit with it.
and if i can what limitations am i looking at.
thanks

04-24-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It will flash only in manual mode or, if equipped, in Auto mode that uses the sensor that is mounted on the flash. p-TTL is out. Only the center pin contacts anything on the Pentax, from what I am told.
04-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, you can use the Canon 430 EX II with the K100D.

But with severe limitation, however: since the flash does not have its own light sensor, it fires at full power.

So you need to find out what its guide number is, and adjust the ISO and the aperture settings according to the guide number and the distance to subject.

It's doable, but clumsy.

This is why I've been saying that it's better to buy a flash with auto (having its own light sensor) and no TTL (or E-TTL or P-TTL or whatever) than a flash with TTL (or E-TTL or P-TTL or whatever) and no auto.
04-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Yes, you can use the Canon 430 EX II with the K100D.

But with severe limitation, however: since the flash does not have its own light sensor, it fires at full power.

So you need to find out what its guide number is, and adjust the ISO and the aperture settings according to the guide number and the distance to subject.

It's doable, but clumsy.

This is why I've been saying that it's better to buy a flash with auto (having its own light sensor) and no TTL (or E-TTL or P-TTL or whatever) than a flash with TTL (or E-TTL or P-TTL or whatever) and no auto.
I agree with all of the above. I had an AF500FTZ that was superb on the MZ-S, but virtually useless on the K10D, which does not do TTL. The AF500FTZ does not have an Auto mode. If it had I could have saved myself some of the bank account I spent switching over.